Author Topic: Bike acting wierd  (Read 4651 times)

air

Bike acting wierd
« on: May 17, 2006, 06:37:48 AM »
Hello got a quick question as to why this would be happening its the first time this has happend but also the first time Ive rode like this.

I was up shotgun creek by marcola here in oregon a big trail system up there and rode for about 2-3 hours going through super fast trails and some no gas at all downhills in first gear well I got done with a pretty normal trail and we were headed back on the gravel road to our trucks this was after about 45 minutes of riding Well we were crusing 5th gear about 1/2 throttle all the way back to the trucks on this gravel road and sometimes doing little mini drags all the way there well we got about 200 yards from the trucks and started to drag again but when my bike got WOT it was acting like it was going to foul a plug and bogging, well about 50 yards from the truck it straight up choked on it self and died, I was like great I fouled a plug wtf now, Leaned my bike up against the truck and didnt think anything of it 3 minutes later got on it to see if it would start, Started first kick and did a couple wot 1-5th gear runs up and down the pavment and it was running perfect, Why would it do this?

Also forgot to mention that I pulled the plug when I got home and it was a golden tan. No oil built up or nothin

Offline Arigato

Re: Bike acting wierd
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 04:14:45 AM »
It sounds like you either stuck a ring or have some ignition issues.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 05:57:19 AM by Arigato »

air

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 06:19:25 AM »
So since this happend once it means that I should replace the top end cause its going to start happening more untill it siezes up entirly? And if its the ignition how do I test this?

Offline Arigato

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 08:02:54 AM »
You will need to pull the flywheel to visually inspect the ignition as well as an ohm meter to test output.

If you stuck a ring it may or may not sieze again.  I would check it out if I was you.  New gaskets are cheap.

When you pull the flywheel, look for oil leaking from the crank seal, a leak there could cause a lean condition which could lead to a siezure.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 03:30:12 PM »
Air,
  A small thing to check is the breather hose into your tank.  If it is plugged or clogged your bike will run fine at slower speeds but start to choke after a bit of sustained high speed as the carb runs out of gas (vapour lock).  After sitting it will run just fine.  Rare, but I have had it happen (to me) and it does just about what you describe.  Cam.

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 05:44:56 PM »
   Low fuel in tank, not enough getting in the bowl.  Sediment on the filter inside the tank restricting flow at high usage ( WOT ).  If this happened at the end of a ride going pretty much straight and you are low on fuel, lean the bike to the left side and get some fuel over to the petcock side of the tank and cruise back to the gas cans...
   The KX5 does drink fuel fast I have noticed...  :x

Sly

air

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 06:35:40 PM »
I dont have a KX5 ^^

Also I think I figured out what it was, I rigged up a switch that I mounted behind the side tank shroud by the kick starter so i can turn the spark on or off (So if i get pulled over in the dunes I can act like it wont start) well the epoxy broke off and it was just sitting there, didnt think anything about it but today i started my bike up revved it a couple of times and it straight up died again, I was like great it just siezed, wouldnt start for like 5 kicks then I moved the switch away from the metal and it started first kick So I think it was the switch grounding out on the frame, So I wrapped it about 50 times with electric tape and remounted it with epoxy and zip ties :D

Stupid Mistake on my part thanks for raking your guys brains tho Hey at least I dont have to ask this if it happens again.

Offline Arigato

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 04:46:13 AM »
I dont have a KX5 ^^

Also I think I figured out what it was, I rigged up a switch that I mounted behind the side tank shroud by the kick starter so i can turn the spark on or off (So if i get pulled over in the dunes I can act like it wont start)

Why?? :?

Offline Spider

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2006, 05:05:14 AM »
Bike too loud?

Dale

air

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2006, 01:41:03 PM »
Because its a 186 dollar ticket for being over 93Db in the oregon dunes. Im sure my bike is over 100, Also for some reason my bike is the loudest out of both my riding friends.