Author Topic: Teraflex tires  (Read 3217 times)

steeldust

Teraflex tires
« on: April 17, 2006, 06:31:12 PM »
Hey  guys was just curious if anybody had tried the teraflex tires and if there worth trying out.  They look like they would realy hook up and last a little bit longer. There huge tires 150x90x18

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Re: Teraflex tires
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 12:50:18 AM »
One thing you have to consider is how heavy the tire is. I'd imagine it is close to putting a massive flywheel weight on it. It's worth a try though, I changed my 19in' 2.5in rim to a 3.5inch rim to give it a shot and did not like it. It would stretch out the knobbies and hook up great, but it costed me big bucks to have the spokes aligned away from the chain so the tire would not hit the chain and also added so much weight that all it nearly lost all the hit. But was quite fun though. lol

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 02:14:06 AM »
I am not sure about that particular tire, however the 560X18 paddle I use required different sprocket, chain and had to be adjusted all the way out with no chain adjustment. I wonder if any other members have this setup now? :|

Alan :-D
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 03:27:25 AM »
Now I'm not so sure I want to run that 150/90/18 if its goin g to require some mods. just to get it to fit.

Steeldust go ahead a buy one and install it and if works great I'll buy one :-D
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 03:44:51 AM »
I'm not a fan of the Terraflex.  Too heavy.  I tried them in the late 70's.  Worked OK on the 17" rims that were in vogue and slow handling bikes I raced.  I couldn't imagine using them on a modern bike, except maybe in the dunes when you didn't want to run a real paddle tire.  Tire weight has a huge effect on bike handling.  I pulled out an old 3.25x21 metzler I had squirrelled away from 1979 and tried it on the KX once. What a laugh. It was 2x the weight of my Kenda and slowed the steering down so much it was comical. I put it in a dumpster.  I'm quite happy with the traction and life of my 120 Millville. Heck, they invented the 19" rear to save tire weight. Cam.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 06:02:13 AM »
I'm not a fan of the Terraflex.  Too heavy.  I tried them in the late 70's.  Worked OK on the 17" rims that were in vogue and slow handling bikes I raced.  I couldn't imagine using them on a modern bike, except maybe in the dunes when you didn't want to run a real paddle tire.  Tire weight has a huge effect on bike handling.  I pulled out an old 3.25x21 metzler I had squirrelled away from 1979 and tried it on the KX once. What a laugh. It was 2x the weight of my Kenda and slowed the steering down so much it was comical. I put it in a dumpster.  I'm quite happy with the traction and life of my 120 Millville. Heck, they invented the 19" rear to save tire weight. Cam.

Exacly, I've found that I can be just as affective on my Kenda 120/19 as I could be on a 120 stretched over a 3.5 inch rim. I ordered those because I thought it would help. What a waste of money. It just requires more work to keep the 120 inline. :-) I enjoy the slide/wheelie that I get from the narrow 120 tire.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 06:32:13 AM »
O.K I'm scared away from the teraflex tire. check out these prices on maxxis it. I think I will go with a 120/100/18 for 43.00

http://store.azmusa.com/max.html
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 07:34:53 AM »
Hughes,
  Have you tried the millvilles?  Not sure what they are like in Georgia clay but in my locale they are superior to the maxxis and about the same price. Sure like my millville front. You could always find a local non-tire sponsored cross-country racer and see what he runs. Cam.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 07:40:24 AM »
I need to check around and see. But looking at the millville the knobbie spacing tells me that it would work better in softer dirt. The georgia clay is a pain in my but for traction. The guy's around here run some high end tires but they run them on 250 2-strokers. The maxxis could use some help with hard pack stuff but the tire is so hard to wear out is the main reason I have lean toward them. I'll look at the millville. Thanks KXcam22
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com