Author Topic: Exhaust mounts (again, I know)  (Read 3806 times)

Offline B2

Exhaust mounts (again, I know)
« on: March 31, 2006, 06:00:00 AM »
Hello everyone.  Quick intro. for now.  I'm Kenny in Texas and have recently added a 1989 KX500 to the stable.  I hope to be able to add helpful comments to the forum at some point, but I need some guidance to help get the bike up and going.  The exhaust needs immediate attention.  I have searched the list for threads and am still uncertain what to do for muffler mounts.  The two front muffler dampers that hold the pipe on are broken, and they are both home brewed.  I would like to order oem parts for now.  The online microfich at ronayers.com shows the second damper on the pipe as p/n 92075-1891.  I called my dealer and he says his system shows the muffler needing three of these dampers.  On the microfich, the first tab on the muffler is partially hidden due to its position, and no damper is shown to attach this tab to the frame.  It appears to be oriented differently than the second tab, in that the mount would need a 90 degree bracket or something if it used the same damper.  So I guess my question is: what parts to I need to mount the muffler in a stock configuration.  Part #'s would be a huge help.  I hope this made some sense.  Thanks in advance for your assistance.   

zert

Re: Exhaust mounts (again, I know)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 06:17:54 AM »
hi,check bikebandit.com and then OEM parts.I think its nr 92075B.
Regards,
Wim

Offline B2

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 06:39:56 AM »
That is the same microfich.  The front tab (hanger) on the pipe is partially hidden.  It looks like the damper mount that is shown for the upper tab will not work or would need an additional 90 degree bracket or something.  It looks to me like there may be an error in omitting parts for the first tab on the microfich, like whoever drew it did not notice the first tab.  Thanks for the reply. 

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 06:57:58 AM »
Have you checked Buy Kawasaki ?

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 07:09:02 AM »
Kawaski part is 92075-1891. They list that you need three of these. You should have one on the front part of the frame in front of the ignition cover and the next one is just behind the right side raditor and the last one is just above the rear brake oil resivoir. There is no special damper that is a 90 degree s or anything.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline B2

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 07:21:02 AM »
Thanks, Paul, for the buykawasaki.com resource.  You can print clean copies of the microfich pages easier than bikebandit or ronayers.  It also tells you how many required.

hughes, I'll look the bike over tonight to make sure I understand how everything fits.  It could be that the custom mounts from the previous owner are not installed correctly, but I remember it having a 90 degree bend in the piece he fabricated.  You're probably right, though.

Offline B2

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 05:40:42 AM »
Well, I found the cobbled together (from previous owner) front exhaust mount was attached to the outside of a motor mount on the frame, not the proper damper mount point, hence my belief it needed a 90 degree adapter of some sort.  I will order the proper damper mounts and try to get the pipe properly hung.  Also, I found the top mount was broken so off to a welder I go.  I plan to make the bracket out of 1/2 inch square stock as described in the archives, unless someone suggests otherwise.  I was not able to find any pics, but think it should be straightforward.  Thanks again to those who have responded. 
Kenny

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 05:50:12 AM »
I made mine out of 1/2 square stock and it's been hanging tuff for a good year and 1/2. I have some photos I will dig up. I just cut the back side of the square stock to fit the frame profile and then welded it all the way around and then through bolted the damper mount. I'll find the photos.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Ramski

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 03:28:13 PM »
Those dampers are not cheap.  :oops:  I hate when I have to order them.  :|

I have a pretty good picture of the top pipe mount in my gallery.  It's under Ramski of course. :mrgreen:
Danny Lesovsky