Author Topic: Newbie to the KX500 World!  (Read 2840 times)

BlackHills

Newbie to the KX500 World!
« on: March 26, 2006, 05:15:37 PM »
I have been looking to buy a dirt bike for a couple of weeks now, and for the most part I was looking at 4-strokes but then I stumbled across a KX500.  Anyway I ended up buying this bike:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4623881409&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AEOIBSAA%3AUS%3A11

Hopefully I got a fair deal on the bike, but we will see when I tear it down and really check it out.  I am very glad I found this forum and look forward to exchanging ideas with everyone.  I have one question right out of the gate.  This bike has a crack in the gas tank that will need to be either fixed or replaced, and the only ones that I have found are about $160. 

1) Anyone know where I can find a cheaper gas tank?  I saw one on ebay but I would really like to get a clear or black on instead of the green.  (the thought is to completly black out the bike in the future).

The only other thing wrong with the bike is that it supposedly floods easily, but I think the kid just didn't know how to work with the carb.  Anyway glad I found everyone and Hello :-D

BTW: I have been able to find black plastics for everything except the radiator shrouds, anyone know where I can find black ones?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 05:36:20 PM by BlackHills »

Offline Timbowe

Re: Newbie to the KX500 World!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 07:09:45 PM »
Gidday there chap! Welcome to the wide and wonderfull world of the mighty KX500. Good choice of bike. You should get years of enjoyment out of it. If it runs sweet dont worry about pulling it down. These engines last for years and years without the internals ever seeing daylight. If it aint F**ked dont need fixin!

Try to get someone to plastic weld the tank up. No sense in spending $$ if your gonna replace it later on. Or look out for a black 04 tank on ebay. Although I'd say you'll be scratching to find one. You never know :roll:. IMS makes a black tank for the 5 hundy that holds 3.6 gallons www.imsproducts.com $225 Bills though. I managed to score a clear IMS of Ebay for $40. Average condition.

Carb is no worries good old clean out and set up according to the jetting chart found on this site will sort that.

Rad shrouds are obtainable through most shops (I think) I got mine at M/X South. UFO brand. Black is good.   :mrgreen: 
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 12:26:57 AM »
Also, Clarke makes a "stock" sized black gas tank. Very nice, Argeto purchased one. Very cool. They also make them in multiple colors, stock sized. 2 1/2 bills though.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 01:02:13 AM »
WELCOME. To the site.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

BlackHills

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 01:05:08 AM »
If it runs sweet dont worry about pulling it down. These engines last for years and years without the internals ever seeing daylight.

This will be my first 2 stroker, and I was always under the impression that they needed alot of work to keep them running right.  Am I mistaken?  I thought I would have to rebuild the top-end every riding season.  Well I found all black plastics for the whole bike, but I am going to hold off on that for awhile and just work on the carb for now.  I don't want to lay it down with new plastics on it just yet.

Thanks again.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 01:18:58 AM »
If it runs sweet dont worry about pulling it down. These engines last for years and years without the internals ever seeing daylight.

This will be my first 2 stroker, and I was always under the impression that they needed alot of work to keep them running right.  Am I mistaken?  I thought I would have to rebuild the top-end every riding season.  Well I found all black plastics for the whole bike, but I am going to hold off on that for awhile and just work on the carb for now.  I don't want to lay it down with new plastics on it just yet.

Thanks again.

It depends on how hard you run your bike. I beat the absolute s**t out of my bike and don't rebuild but at the MOST 1 time a year and I rev about 30% higher than possible on a stock 500. So I tend to do more damage than the even expert user.

Consider maybe rebuilding once every 5-10 years. Depending. KXCam here didn't rebuild his '94? or was it a '92 until this year. Stock piston and all. So whoever told you that did not know what they were talking about. Also, a modern day 4-Stroke can not hold a crank for more than a season. Every friend I know that raced a CRF250-450 ended up replacing the entire engine because the cranks fell apart.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 01:53:23 AM »
Welcome to the site BlackHills, your greatest indication of needing a topend will be determined by the compression tester. When the compression tester dropps below 110psi it's time.