Author Topic: Idle Dies Down  (Read 9472 times)

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Idle Dies Down
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2003, 10:58:51 AM »
Tomasaki, have the bottom end pressure tested. You're showing the classic signs of a leaking seal on the oil side of the engine. Also perform a compression test to ensure your compression is between 110PSI and 170PSI.

tomasaki

Idle Dies Down
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2003, 01:20:27 PM »
Thanks Paul, But how do you check bottom end pressure???  I've never done a compression test either but it seems like you would just hook a gage to the spark plug hole and crank it.

Tom L.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Idle Dies Down
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2003, 08:03:32 AM »
Thats correct, a compression tester plugs into the sparkpulg hole and you kick the engine over until the pressure no longer rises on the gauge. This will tell you if you're in the service limits of: 110psi - 170psi.

Everytime I do a topend on my bike I pull the piston and put the jug back on the engine. I have a pressure gauge that threads into the sparkplug hole and a rubber stopper (gotta love Home Depot :lol: ) that seals the exhaust port. I have a flat plate with a valvestem (like your car tire) in it that i use a bicycle pump with to pressurize the cylinder. Flat plate bolts to intake side of the cylinder. A couple pounds (ehh, more like 7 or so) is all it takes and then you just watch the gauge for bleed off. If everything is good then there shouldn't be any pressure bleed-off.

Good luck and we're here if you have more questions.

tomasaki

Idle Dies Down
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2003, 04:17:24 PM »
Thanks again Paul!!!  That all sounds easy enough!  I'll call around and see if I can find a compression tester.  The bottom end test will have to wait until I'm due for top end.

How does this all affect the idle?  Other than the idle dying off, and the spark plug always being black, the bike performs outstanding.

jdv500

to tom, revving with the gas off huh.?
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2004, 02:25:36 PM »
hello ,
 my 01 500 do'es the very same thing. as soon as i let go of the throttle it will pulse and rev on by itself... thanks, jdv

jdv500

Idle Dies Down
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2004, 02:39:14 PM »
my 01 500 will pulse and surge by itself evrytime i let the throttle go after a straight and level run,
with the gas shut and rolling, the revs will bounce up 3 or 4 little peaks and the bike will surge forward in sequence. any help would be great thanks.!! jdv

rradar

Idle Dies Down
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2004, 07:03:24 AM »
Tom, After trying everything, plugs, all jets, oils, ratios, etc. I finally made my own Idle Screw just a few threads longer than stock and shaped the end on my bench grinder-like the stock screw. Idles nice, I can adjust it a lot better now. It doesn't surge and runs clean due to all of the jetting. I run Maxima Super M at 40:1 with a BR7EVX and 92 Octane Pump.
Rick K.

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
Idle Dies Down
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2004, 01:44:40 AM »
John,
Good for you with the rebuilt and you don?t need 2 gasket, I promise!
(The moose is something around 10mm)

//doordie
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!

Offline KXcam22

Idle Dies Down
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2004, 04:03:48 AM »
Joseph,
  Unfortunately, that surging seems to be quite normal when the jettting is good.  Mine does it just like you describe, maybe worse.  Gowen did a lot of testing and the surging only seems to go away when you are too rich.  I doesn't bother me when I ride so I have got used to it. Probably not the answer you were looking for. Cam.

jdv500

Idle Dies Down
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2004, 12:35:06 PM »
yeah,
 i often relying on the engine braking and during this is when i feel it . thanks, jdv

Torch654

Idle Dies Down
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2005, 09:54:47 AM »
Just a quick question I get some small surges under these conditions (hi speed to chopped throttle) The bike only accelerates for one "pop" and not very often. The odd thing is my jetting is a Little rich. I was thinking a worn slide? Its not a big deal I was just looking for opinions.

Offline GDubb

Idle Dies Down
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2005, 12:51:47 PM »
The surging on the 500 is normal... you can search for posts on this subject as there are a ton.
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Torch654

Idle Dies Down
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2005, 03:01:23 AM »
Yes I have been reading......but for some it seems to go away when jetted rich. I am jetted rich and it is still doing it, so I was wondering if my thoughts on a worn slide hold water. :)

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Idle Dies Down
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2005, 07:49:33 AM »
Maybe carboned up power valves(sticking)mine is a little rich but pusled and surge a little bit but after I cleaned and re-lubed the valves problem solved.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com