Author Topic: engine just seized, questions..  (Read 4245 times)

kxmach30

engine just seized, questions..
« on: March 03, 2006, 06:44:28 AM »
just bought a 2004 kx125.  i transported it home on its side. the ride was about two hours.  i got it home and tried to start it, started quickly but then died.  i drained all  the gas in the carb and kicked it about 30 times with the spark plug off and then with a new one on trying to get all the gas burned up inside the engin thinking it was flooded heavily.  started it today and it ran a little better, i held the throttle at about halfway, and then it started reving like it was clearing out all the extra fuel, buuuuut then it siezed right up.   this happend to me bfore with another bike but i forget what i had installed at the dealership.  i want to try and rebuild it on my own, can anyone tell me what is going to need to be replaced. and would there be any special tools i would need.  im so bummed i just got it and i wanted to go to the track tomarrow, but ohh well. :cry: :cry: :cry:   any help is greatly appreciated.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Re: engine just seized, questions..
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 07:16:35 AM »
Pull the plug and spray WD-40 into the cylinder, ALOT. Come back tomorrow and see if you can turn it over by hand. If so, congrats it's NOT galled to the cylinder. Tear it down and inspect the cylinder, looking for deep scratchs, cracks, flaking, etc... (if you have a question ask us, post pictures if you need an assesment of cylinder condition). If it's good, go down and grab a topend kit, race home and put her back together. Might still make the track ;)

If it's galled to the cylinder walls, that sucks big butt :( I did that on a CR500 I owned and had to purchase a new cylinder. Piston and cylinder decided to become one.

*** EDIT ***

Forgot to mention, inspect the connecting rod as well, looking for bluing around the bearing / wrist pin ends. Also, once the cylinder is off and the piston is off the rod, rotate it by hand (keeping tension on the rod) to ensure the rod bearing is still good. If it feels bad, it is bad  :|
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 07:19:12 AM by Paul »

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 01:42:06 AM »
 :cry: :cry: if WD-40 doesn't work, you can put the bike in gear and try to rock it back and forth. I unlocked an old RM500 that way, but try all other options first, you don't want to stress the rod/trans if you don't have to. Now is a good time to get a 144 kit from Eric Gorr. :-) Post up some pictures, that will say alot. You don't want to install a new piston kit until your cylinder is inspected, it might need to be replated(sleeved? I don't remember). But, also need to find out why it siezed in the first place, so you don't lock up your new engine!

kxmach30

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 07:40:24 AM »
welllllllll, today i opened her up, and not good, the piston is done, the cyclinder wall is ok, buuuuuut the rod is seized. the rod moves back and forth, but it won't go up and down, so i talked to a mechanic today and he thinks the bearings are sezed.   so im pissed cause its gonna be upwards of probly 800 to fix it. im pissed cause i haven't even gotten to ride it at my house.  people are always out to screw other people, pisses me off.  so what have i learned, NEVER BUY USED!!!!!!  you never know what people have done to these bikes.  ohh well im gonna give the guy a call who i bout it from and see if he can help me out any. 

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 07:56:33 AM »
Sorry to hear that and good luck when you speak with the seller.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 01:05:19 PM »
Sorry to hear that. You won't get anything out of a serious seller. I hate to say it.

If you were to do the work yourself, it would cost you maybe $200 tops. Including a service manual. I'd do it myself. I'm guessing $80 for a piston, $20 for a gasket kit, $50 for a bearing kit, and and $25 for a manual and another $25 for misc parts. Just alot of work. But it will save you $600.

kxmach30

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 02:23:24 PM »
yah, i hope ur right, but the mechanic said i may need a new crank, so well see what happens, thanks for the comments, ill let you know what happens.  he is a friend of a friend who works for a dealership, so he should be coming this week to work on it. 

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 03:03:36 PM »
You can have your crank rebuilt if you have to for $140 at most by Eric Gorr (parts and labor included!). So @ MOST $340. Still better than $800!!!