Author Topic: Diagram for forks on 2000 KX500?  (Read 4011 times)

Zee

Diagram for forks on 2000 KX500?
« on: February 24, 2006, 12:47:44 AM »
Hi All, does anyone know of a link to a good diagram on 2000 KX500 forks? I'm specifically interested in the rebound and compression valves and the exact assembly of the shim stacks. Just bought a set of NOST valves, so in the process of going through the forks I notice a few bad conditions; small bits of plastic floating around and plugging up the valves. Looks like the plastic got smashed off of the spring guides from bottoming-out. Also, looks like there?s an o-ring missing on the shaft that the springs ride on. Thanks

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Re: Diagram for forks on 2000 KX500?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 01:09:37 AM »
Buy Kawasaki is your friend  :wink:

Zee

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 02:13:48 AM »
Hi Paul
 Thanks for the info, but I didn't see an explosion on the rebound valve itself. One of the problems I?m having is the small pieces of white plastic are in both valves. Looking with a magnifying glass I noticed that these bits and pieces where between the shims holding them open. Loosening up the nuts on these valves reveal that this debris was accumulating in the passage ways and between the shims which explains why I was getting sea sick on a single track ride when I test rode this bike. I traded a 99 CR 250 and I?m very happy with the deal; the power band is impressive on the 500 and the low-end is perfect for climbing. The forks where leaking on the KX so I figured no big deal, just needed a rebuild. I went through them once and cleaned them up as best I could without completely disassembling the valves, only loosen the nut and tried to blow out the debris. After the rebuild one of the forks still leaked a little and the rebound and compression was greatly improved, but the adjustability wasn?t there on the compression side, so reading a post by ?Doordie? on the NOST valve got my interest and I bought a set. So on this rebuild I noticed that there are still a few small pieces of plastic in the rebound valve shims and I want to completely disassemble this valve to make sure they are clean and go back together the right way as this bike has been worked on before.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 02:15:54 AM »
Take the nut off and slide the shim stack onto a piece of wire so that it stays the way it was. Clean and reassemble, should be fine. Just don't drop the stack ;)

Zee

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 01:49:38 AM »
Hi Paul, took your advice and used a piece of coat hanger to keep the rebound valves in order. Snapped a few pictures of them spread-out on the wire so I could do a comparison without having them apart at the same time and they do match; not to be too anal, I?m still curious if they are right as this is a used bike and someone?s had them apart before, so you never know. Thanks for the diagram too, found out that the spring guides were in upside down, placing the larger diameter of the guide closer to the top of the inner fork pipe which would hit the guide about 2 inches before full compression, and break-off small white pieces of plastic, about the size of sand! That mistake was costing about two inches of travel and lot?s of debris clogging up the works! Here?s the good part; :-D NOST valves. Got them installed and went riding Sunday around the Hassayampa river bottom and 271 ave. Set them up by following their recommendations exactly for desert riding. I was a little cautious at first, but a big smile came to my face as it is very apparent that the bike was soaking up the bumps much better. Found myself looking for various types of obstacles and terrain just to run over for evaluation. With everything working well I put away the screwdrivers, locked up the truck and put on my backpack and went riding. Got the bike up into 5th gear on the CAP road and it even felt much more stable. Got down into the deep river bottom sand and immediately noticed the bike wasn?t so spooky like before, seems to change lines easier and not be deflected so much by the ruts, was a good confidence builder. Only had an hour, so went back to the truck and loaded up. Funny thing is after riding for an hour on newly rebuilt front forks I don?t have any compression damping adjustments to make; need more seat time as I felt my speed was up and with four adjustments on the new compression valves there?s a lot to learn.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 02:04:51 AM »
I never understood why people put all the engine modifications on these bikes and neglect the suspension. This thing is a land rocket if you get the suspension nailed down ;)

Congrats on getting it figured out and glad I could help. When I get another one we should head out to the White Tanks or up by MM11.

Zee

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 05:55:56 AM »
Hey I?m guilty of the ?engine mods before I take care of the suspension syndrome? too. I find myself thinking about the EG Mo-Better all over, (pump gas), porting all the time, it?s the hot rod side in all of us. Just can?t find someone around here that?s done it to a KX500. Wouldn?t want to lose any low end as that?s what makes it easy to ride. And eyeballing into the exhaust port, looks like I?ll need a top end soon.

Okay, you?re on! Just let me know when you get a bike. I?m out in Surprise so both MM11 and the Tanks are close by. One thing I did notice on the Tanks is more closures; not a big thing as I wasn?t crazy about the spot they closed; south side of Bell, where the mountains meet the road. Too crowded, shooters everywhere, with houses getting closer by the day. Just a few miles further, plenty of open space for now and if you go to MM120 there?s the Hassayampa; you can ride just about any direction with the Vulture Mountains close by for a 500!

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 06:01:18 AM »
Back when I started riding we didn't have suspension! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 06:17:37 AM »
Back when I started riding we didn't have suspension! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alan, that amazes me. I saw that picture of you riding without a helmet/shirt on on a old "macco?" or something like that. That blows my mind. I think it is awesome.

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 07:27:57 AM »
Yep, that was the first 501 Maico in in the state of texas in 1971! I raced it three time 3rd ,2nd and hospital and didn't walk for 2 years! The no shirt pic's were Yamaha SC500 great desert bike for their time and before mono shock days!

Alan :-D

PS I will repost those old pic's after Paul gets finished with the gallery!
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F