Author Topic: Crank!  (Read 5763 times)

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
Re: Crank!
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 11:33:40 PM »
I few years ago I designed a crank with adjustable weights for tuning for a certain rpm to eliminate vibration. the idea was simple, if you had the weights like you have on your crank set in slots instead of a fixed hole like yours, then you had an adjuster screw going through the weight so that you could adjust the weight to and from the center of the crank. this concept allow you to tune for frequency and adjust for different weights of pistons, pins, ect. with out changing out the weights. we spun the assembly to test. once we had the weight location for the desired setup to have min. vibration at a certain rpm. we redesigned the custom crank without weights. I worked on one for a Topfuel Harley.
Awesome solution!  :-o
Got pics? :wink:
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!

Offline Jeeks

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 07:18:54 AM »
You dont need to use the original parts they used to balance the crank.  You mainly need their weights.  As long as the replacement part weighs the same, your fine.  WhenI used to build big block Mopars we would balance all the pistons respectively by removing small amounts of material from inside the piston.  You weigh the piston, bearing, pin, clips, rings all at once.
2000 KX250 x2
1975 Z1-900

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2008, 06:18:36 AM »
I few years ago I designed a crank with adjustable weights for tuning for a certain rpm to eliminate vibration. the idea was simple, if you had the weights like you have on your crank set in slots instead of a fixed hole like yours, then you had an adjuster screw going through the weight so that you could adjust the weight to and from the center of the crank. this concept allow you to tune for frequency and adjust for different weights of pistons, pins, ect. with out changing out the weights. we spun the assembly to test. once we had the weight location for the desired setup to have min. vibration at a certain rpm. we redesigned the custom crank without weights. I worked on one for a Topfuel Harley.
Awesome solution!  :-o
Got pics? :wink:

Isn't this what the big factory riders use(used) so you can choose for difrent interea momentum of the crank??

Dutchie
Proud owner of a KX500AF