Author Topic: 4th gear wheelie up Olds gone bad (Glamis)  (Read 2143 times)

afritts4u

4th gear wheelie up Olds gone bad (Glamis)
« on: January 30, 2006, 06:18:26 AM »
Just rebuilt my KX500 and went riding at Glamis this last weekend 1/27/2006.  I was having fun beating absolutely everyone up Olds Hill. The only person I could not beat was a 700 HP sand rail, and that was even a close race.

I started showing off and letting my friend on a Raptor Quad get half way up the hill. Then I would start and try to catch him by the top. I did this and was doing a 4th gear wheelie passing him and looped out. Went off the back and ate some sand. I estimate I was going about 65mph. Somehow I did not get hurt bad. My shoulder is bruised (first thing to impact) but nothing is broken and no concussion.  The bike faired well except a broken sub-frame, plastic, and a bent silencer.  Not related to the crash directly I?m selling the bike (see for sale forum).

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
RE: 4th gear wheelie up Olds gone bad (Glamis)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 06:40:17 AM »
Sorry about the crash. Did anyone catch it on video ? Do you know your way around Glamis very well ?
 Someday I would like to go there, but I would be lost.  Is it easy to find the famous spots (venders row-olds hill) ? Or is there a dune map ?  Where do you stay ?   John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

afritts4u

RE: 4th gear wheelie up Olds gone bad (Glamis)
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 08:26:59 AM »
Hay John, I was actually thinking of writing a book on glamis. I have been many times. Thier is a map but the best way to go is by using a GPS. Or best of all go with someone that knows the place. All the famous places are easy to find. You could just ask around, and most are close to some sort of road or sand road. It can be easy to loose your way in low light. As long as the eather is kinda clear you can just ride up a big dune and get your berrings. The east side is bordered by railroad tracks and a road. The North Side is bordered by a road. You can usally even see these landmarks at night.

Just dont take off without a plan or taking a mental picture of landmarks (not dunes they all look the same)

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Re: 4th gear wheelie up Olds gone bad (Glamis)
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 03:24:23 PM »
Sorry to hear about the crash, it is quite painful I verywell know! Good luck with the sale, I hope you get what you want/need for the KX.