Author Topic: K5 To sleeve or not to sleeve?  (Read 10578 times)

2001KX5

K5 To sleeve or not to sleeve?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 02:50:54 AM »
I was just speaking with Eric Gorr on the phone and said it might beable to be repaired but he would have to see it and it depends if the area is accessible.  He said if its not repairable then he can provide a new cylinder at his cost (~$350usd which is an absolute steal!) if I get the porting and top end kit from him. Total with the new cylinder and porting would be $640usd.  So I'm just going to send it off and be done with it really.

If I buy a new cylinder here it will cost me:

Cylinder ~$750
Piston ~ $140
Gaskets ~ $50
Total $940 Canadian

Worse case with Eric is $640usd or $730 canadian plus about $70 shipping total or $ 800 canadian, but I get oh so much more than if I did it all locally here.

So its still better to send it to Eric even with the USD currency exchange.

Offline John

• http://www.hallbergs.net
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2006, 08:14:17 AM »
That's some serious cracks you've got there. Not the ordinary waer & tear...

Where do you live? If you live in Europe I can recommend Stan Stephens in the UK. I am not sure these cracks are reparable. I have no experience with cracks this size... Seems like something has gone terrible wrong..? You should try to find out the reason ( and post it here). I would like to know what could cause this - so that I can avoud it if nothing else.

Sorry I can't help you more. Maybe Doordie have some bright ideas or experience he can share? He's familiar with cracks :roll:

//John

2001KX5

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2006, 11:44:52 AM »
I'm on the east coast of Canada. I don't know what happened or caused those severe cracks as I bought the bike like this full knowing the situation.  I assume it was leam jetting with poor quality oil and a lack of respect for the motor because by looking at the pistong and the bore, this just diden't occur out of the blue, but what I think was prolonged abuse.

Offline musturbo

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2006, 03:11:45 PM »
Eric hooked you up ! I would not attempt to have that cylinder repaired.  I have seen minor stress cracks relieved but that is broken through and through.  go w/ eric gorr.
pin it

Offline 5dracing

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2006, 12:49:42 AM »
I know you probably don't know the entire history of the bike but, is there a chance that the bike got submerged while running. Hydraulics can do alot of damage and I've seen this happen to a friends bike. On his it actually stretched the threads in the block that hold the cylinder on. He happened to submerge his while moving forward and it sucked in water after the flame went out, serious lock up.

Just a thought.
The torch has been passed; Father to Son. He is faster!!!

2001KX5

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2006, 03:18:27 AM »
I'm not saying that is wasen't submerged, but there are no signs that I see. The piston is F***ed.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2006, 08:46:17 AM »
5d,
  I was having those same thoughts with the extensive cracking evident through the exhaust port sides. Ouch. cam.

Offline 5dracing

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2006, 12:19:32 PM »
Part of its the engineer in me, (Associates degree in Architectural Engineering) and the other part is the Firefighter/EMT too many pump classes. Hydraulics are amazing things and those cracks seemed like they were right at the weak points in the cyl.

I would really check the botom end very close.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2006, 05:22:33 PM »
Hey another engineer/firefighter. I've got my Masters in Electrical Engineering and am a member of the fire/confined space rescue team at the industrial plant I work in. Cool. Cam.

Offline 5dracing

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2006, 01:27:23 AM »
Cam
I have about 3000 hours of training in firefighting and EMT. I was an EMT instructor for a few years before I got busy with the kids activities. I am also confined space, high angle rescue (repelling), trench, structural collapse,vehicle rescue and was the HAZMAT team leader for Heinz pet products division. I still like the deer in the headlight look you get from a probie in his/her first real fire. the stories I could tell!!!

This conversation should probably be in another area of the forum. Maybe we should have an area to let everyone know what each of us does to support our KX habits?

moburki

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2006, 03:36:35 AM »
I'm ME :)
Oh, I'd replace that cylinder, unless you can have someone CMM it, make sure it hasn't collapsed, or fishmouthed. I'm having mine replated, not any cracking like that, mines more like Doordies pics.

2001KX5

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2006, 08:47:36 AM »
Well Eric Gorr will evaluate the cracks and I'll go from there. But I'm leaning towards a new cylinder any way.  As for the bottom end, I will be having that tore apart as well to check bearings and seals.

Offline r1ray

• Dirt Addict
Re: K5 To sleeve or not to sleeve?
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2006, 03:09:35 PM »
Is this a common problem with the 5?
Sugnasty

Offline Timbowe

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2006, 06:54:24 PM »
Only if unmaintained or miss treated.  :x
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline r1ray

• Dirt Addict
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2006, 12:30:36 AM »
Glad to know. I was entertaining the thought of selling my 250 for a 500.
Sugnasty