Author Topic: Winter maintenance  (Read 4892 times)

Offline 5dracing

Winter maintenance
« on: January 23, 2006, 02:04:29 AM »
Decided to check on the condition of the top end in my bike. Took a cold compression check an a hot check. Cold was 205 and hot was 175. :D  It appears to have the thin gaskets top and bottom. I have about 30 hours on the bike since I got it and the guy said he replaced the piston right before I bought it.

I'm wondering how long everyone goes before a top end?
I run Amsoil at 32:1 with pump gas 93 octane.

Also wondering what brand of fiber clutch plates everyone is using?
I have steel plates.
The torch has been passed; Father to Son. He is faster!!!

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Winter maintenance
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 02:13:24 AM »
Steel plates are best for not leaving any debri in the engine. I just had my caes split last week and I was amazed how much grayish slushy stuff built up in the corners of the cases. this stuff was everywhere. The engine had alumn. plates I went back steel. Took some time to clean all the parts off before I put it back togther. Top end on these bikes are tough but good oil and clean clean clean clean air filters are very important. I clean my filter everyride. I run Yamalube 2-R at 32:1. It's good to inspect the top end from time to time. keep an eye on the compression or if you have time you can teardown and measure the piston and bore once a year. I think KXcamm22 got 12 years on his top end.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline KXcam22

Winter maintenance
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 03:57:27 AM »
5D,
  Pardon me if I'm off base but amsoil as 32:1 sounds extremely rich. Isn't that stuff supposed to be at 80 to 100:1. I am running the DP carbon fiber plates with steel. Cam.

hoopty

Winter maintenance
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 04:21:02 AM »
The steel plates will last longer and give more a flywheel effect. I run Amsoil Pro @ 100:1 in LL100 and have never had an issue. Also, the FAQ has the service limits for compression.

http://www.pitbull-racing.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=FAQ&file=index&myfaq=yes&id_cat=5#q15

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Winter maintenance
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 04:48:55 AM »
Quote from: KXcam22
5D,
  Pardon me if I'm off base but amsoil as 32:1 sounds extremely rich. Isn't that stuff supposed to be at 80 to 100:1. I am running the DP carbon fiber plates with steel. Cam.

Running that lean on oil is that not an issues with bearings?
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

Offline 5dracing

Winter maintenance
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 06:02:48 AM »
I use the Amsoil dominator oil. I tested this in my sons CR 85 (unscientifically) and he did not know I was doing it. One day in mid july he came to me and asked if I rebuilt the top end because the bike had more power. All I did was change the oil to the Amsoil. I went synthetic to synthetic so I did'nt think anything of it. Short story, I've used it ever since. With the oil at 32:1, I definately am getting a good seal at the ring which shows when compression cold was at 205. The 85 engine just had a failure after 2 full seasons on the bottom end using the Amsoil at 32:1. The large bearing on the connecting rod chipped the bearing housing. It let go when he was riding it at 35deg in a sloppy snow. I think the mixture went lean from the cold.  He ran top third of his class all year (MX).
The torch has been passed; Father to Son. He is faster!!!

hoopty

Winter maintenance
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 06:08:34 AM »
Hughes, the real difference is the technology. Amsoil Pro has a far superior (as do all the synthetics) shear strength than any conventional could pray for. That, not the amount of oil but it's resistance to shear is what provides the protection to the lower end on a 2 stoke.

If it's any consolation, my 500 hits Glamis religiously with Amsoil Pro mixed at 100:1 and I've never had a single issue. Ever.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Winter maintenance
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 06:15:41 AM »
Cool. I am going to stick with my Yamalube 2-R(32:1) it's the cleanest oil you can burn. I will try to take a photo here this week of my piston that has about 15 trail rides on it and you can see what I am talking about. I use Yamaha's ring-free to which helps clean carbon. I have never tried synthetics oils but I guess it's what you trust and have used.
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

Offline Timbowe

Winter maintenance
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 11:06:35 AM »
Heres another vote for Amsoil. 20 years no probs.
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline KXcam22

Winter maintenance
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 02:56:54 PM »
5D,
   Sorry to cause a furor. I wasn't aware there was an amsoil product that was mixed richer than 80:1. All the snowmobile guys where I live run their particular flavour of amsoil at 100:1 (and very happy).  The aluminum clutch plates leave quite a bit of deposit behind although I was amazed at how well they handled tha abuse I gave them.  When I rebuilt my 92 all the trans bearings were ruined from the aluminum deposits, especially the tiny waterpump ones.  The DP kit I got had steel and carbon fiber plates.  As for KX500 top end life, alot depends on factors such as how well/often you clean your air filter and using good 2-stroke oil.  I recently rebuilt my 92 for the first time after 12 years (about 400 hours est. (+/- a bunch)) of running Belray MC-1 at 60:1.  Top end was pristine, I almost could have reused the piston (except for that small crack I found!).  I never did a compression test though.  In my race career, the first season I used Belray MC-1, I got 104 motos out of my Maico 400 on the same top end, at 85:1.  I thought that was pretty good, far from the 2-3 rebuilds I'd normally have done.  Been a Belray fan(atic) ever since.  Anyway I think the most important thing about oil is to pick a good one (there's lots) and stick with it. There will aways be the leaner/richerand mineral/synthetic arguments (to keep life interesting) but I know that I will always agree with Timbowe & Hoopty on using synthetic oils at a lean ratio.  Cam.

Offline Timbowe

Winter maintenance
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 03:37:57 PM »
I brought 2 cartons of Amsoil Intercepter 50:1 which I have been using up. The main Ams importer down here was looking like folding up. So I brought up the last supplies of this Intercepter which was all that was available at the time. Thankfully a new importer steeped in and took over the importation. Very important.
 So I still have a few bottles to use up. Very clean burning, no spooge, next to no smoke, and crisp running at all revs.
 I'll be going back to the 100:1 ratio after these last few bottles are finished up. The Saber Profesional series.
KX500

Offline alan

• Administrator
Re: Winter maintenance
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2006, 03:59:20 AM »
Hi guys, after re reading this thread and some other posts on oil and gas I decided to make a  change in oil and gas! I looked all over town for amsoil saber 100 to no avail so I ordered it on line and I hope it will be here day! I am going to get rid of all of my old gas and start using satbil. Hope my wife's car likes my old gas mixed in with her gas! he he! :evil: I am going to run the amsoil a 80:1 still I just can't bring my self to run it 100!

Alan :-D
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline Timbowe

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2006, 10:38:08 AM »
The local Yamaha dealer here for years raced RDs on Amsoil. He was the local agent for it and introduced it to me over 20 years ago. Ive never used any other other oil in my bikes cars and trucks. Two stroke, engine, diff or gearbox. Anyway his name is Whanye Hill. His nickname when he was racing was "Lean down Hill" cause he used to run his race bikes on Ams 100:1 at the ratio of 110:1. This was well over 20 years ago and had no negative effects. Great stuff Alan welcome aboard. I'm sure you'll never go back. :wink:
KX500

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2006, 12:29:53 PM »
Alan,
  You won't be dissapointed. I ran amsoil 100:1 in my road race bike and raced MX with Belray MC-1 at 85:1.  My new yamaha outboard asks for 100:1 yamalube in the manual. Nowdays, everything I own (KX, kids bikes, chainsaw, weedwacker etc) live nicely on a diet of 60:1 MC-1.  Lean is where it's at.  Cam.

2001KX5

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2006, 02:05:31 PM »
any of you guys have any experience with ipone?

alot of guys here run the honda synthentic or yamalube, they say it has better staying power on the metal. I dunno.

I used ipone all last season and never had a hitch.

Man I would be worried to death to run 100:1.