Author Topic: KTM 525SX VS KX500  (Read 3309 times)

afritts4u

KTM 525SX VS KX500
« on: January 11, 2006, 04:23:12 AM »
Anyone ridden both these bikes hard that can give an honest comparison? I'm going to race a full season of GP's and some Best in the Desert races. I have owened my K5 and raced it twice. Hole Shot king but not so sure the ergos, handaling, and air controle are up to par with the competition?

Offline demographic

Re: KTM 525SX VS KX500
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 07:40:02 AM »
Quote from: afritts4u
Anyone ridden both these bikes hard that can give an honest comparison? I'm going to race a full season of GP's and some Best in the Desert races. I have owened my K5 and raced it twice. Hole Shot king but not so sure the ergos, handaling, and air controle are up to par with the competition?

I might be wrong here but as far as I remember the bloke I bought a load of KX stuff off had moved onto a KTM 525 (his username is DanH1) as he was racing in Colorado and aparently big twostrokes are getting unpopular there.

Anyway, it might be worth shooting him a PM as he is a nice bloke so I am sure he won't mind answering a few questions :)
Regards Scott

Offline KXcam22

RE: Re: KTM 525SX VS KX500
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 09:34:42 AM »
I've ridden them both back to back on aggressive single track but not under race conditions.  If I was to own a 4-stroke it would definitely be the 525.  In terms of weight and CG it weighs a bit more and has a higher CG but it masks it well and it actually feels more nimble.  Liked to be steered more with the bars rather than directed by weighting the pegs (like the KX).  Power was excellent, plentiful and very nice in terms of delivery but not quite the same top end rush.  Suspension was far more supple on small stuff (than my 92) but didn't handle rear bottoming as well.  Turns better, especially at low speed. Eros were different but fairly easy to get used to, really nice seat/tank feel. E-start was nice.  Needs a whole bunch of e-line guards ($$) to protect the engine and pipe and so you don't melt your riding pants.  I didn't think the hydraulic clutch was all that great but that might just be me. Easy to pull but not a very linear disengagement. Noisy.  Overall very raceable and would make a great KX substitute (for a 4-stroke).  Not a great comparison but hope it helps. Cam.

Offline 5dracing

RE: Re: KTM 525SX VS KX500
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 04:20:53 AM »
I've also ridden both but not under race conditions on MX track. The 525 may be heavier but like cam said it carries it's weight well. I was actually slightly faster on the KTM than my KX but that was in the early stages of just getting back on a bike after a long break. They are not as thirsty as the KX either. We both put in 2 gallons of gas and he was able to ride for a longer period of time maybe someone else could give more insight to this. The KTM had suspension work done and we both weigh about the same so it worked well for me. Our height is very similar so the ergos worked also. My bottom line is if I had the bucks to get a newer 525 I would.

Thats my 2 cents worth.
The torch has been passed; Father to Son. He is faster!!!

FIVE-HUNGE

KTM 525SX VS KX500
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 07:12:14 AM »
I have an 04 525 mxc in my garage right next to my 01 KX5. They are similar in some ways and very different in others. The 525 turns better, supension is alot more plush, feels lighter, and overall is easier to ride.
However, the 525 does not like to be chugged down low in really tight situations. The motor gets choppy and stall prone. The power is smooth and abundant but still lacks the fury of 500 2 stroke power. I still think the KX has a better top speed and gets there alot quicker. For long endurance type races The 525 is a no-brainer. For A$$ kicking and everything else the KX is the weapon of choice.