Author Topic: Help the new guy with what to look for  (Read 1990 times)

autorotate

Help the new guy with what to look for
« on: December 30, 2005, 04:38:49 AM »
Looking to purchase an ?mature/experienced? KX500.  I?m requesting advice on what to look for as far as ?trouble areas/spots? with the KX500.

I?ve done a search of the forum, and so far I?ve found out to look for?.

Exhaust pipe mount under the tank
Gussets at the upper subframe mount bolts near the shock mount
Swingarm bearings
Swingarm rub guard

You guys got anything else you think I should look hard at??..

Thanks in advance.

BTW?.great forum you have here.  Got to keep up the good fight against the 4 strokers.

Offline Timbowe

RE: Help the new guy with what to look for
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 07:07:32 AM »
Check rear brake disk for uneven wear. Slackness in the caliper slide on the swingarm will result in a dish centre of the disk. Foot peg mounts for wear. Garks in under engine area of the frame. New, beefier kickstarter is allways a bonus. If it has'nt been done you'll be doin it soon. Steering head bearings for notchyness or slack. Shock seals. Stuff like that. Any moving parts wear and should be inspected.

Now you get out there and get one! No four stroke's gonna pass us!
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 06:56:44 AM »
Before you buy, you might want to take the time to pop the pipe off and look up the exhaust port with a flashlight.  It is a nice big port so you can view the cylinder condition (for flaking) reach in with a finger and try to rock the piston and view the piston side wall.  A compression test is faster and easier but nothing like a "look". Get a 1996 or newer. They have the updated forks and shock. Also look at the condition of big ticket items, worn tires are cheap to replace but things like really bent rads can cost lots of $$.
Here's a partial list:

compression test
look at shock shaft for leaking oil
run finger over fork sliders for nicks.
rad condition.
spin wheels to see if bent
lift bike to see how loose rear linkages are
look for watery rust marks around swingarm pivots (bearings shot)
Same for steering head (although much cheaper to fix) with bike on stand try to pull fork bottoms toward you.

Cam.

mikesmith

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 06:50:00 PM »
The lower shock bearing (small bearing in the linkage) seems to wear faster then the rest of the linkage bearings.Crank bearings,case can get oveled if cranks out of true and was reved out a lot.I would say the rest is covered in above posts.

autorotate

Thanks for all the replies
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 01:41:28 AM »
Appreciate the inside scoop.