Author Topic: tight woods gearing  (Read 4765 times)

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
tight woods gearing
« on: April 21, 2003, 02:25:34 PM »
Anyone do tight woods riding?  What gearing do you use?  I want a "trials" riding gear.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

EZ-Rider

tight woods gearing
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2003, 03:47:51 PM »
I run 14/51 and it works well in the areas that I ride in. But if I rode only in tight woods I would probably even go a little steeper than that like maybe 13/51 or something equal to it.

Rick

tight woods gearing
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2003, 11:20:18 AM »
13/51!  :shock:  :shock: How in the world do you keep the front end on the ground??  I race some of the National Enduro races as well as the ISDE Qualifiers, and can be some of the most technical riding known to man.  The lowest gearing I run is 14/47.  I tried 14/49 last year at one day of a Qualifier, and could barely keep the front end down.  Hated the whole day.

Also, about a month ago, I spent 4 days in Moab, Utah (rock crawling, Jeep heaven), where you almost never get into 2nd gear, and the 14/47 was more than sufficient to walk up all stair step rocks.  More like trials riding a KX500 than anything else.

One note, I started running a flywheel about two months ago, and boy did it make a difference in the tight stuff.  I would suggest a 14 oz. flywheel with the stock gearing before spending a lot of money of new sprockets.  I think you will be surprised.

Rick

Offline gwcrim

tight woods gearing
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2003, 02:33:51 PM »
The bike's already got an 11 oz FWW.  I guess I'd like to be able to have higher revs in the slow stuff.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change

EZ-Rider

tight woods gearing
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2003, 04:52:02 PM »
Quote from: Rick
13/51!  How in the world do you keep the front end on the ground??  

You KEEP your front end on the ground?? :shock:  Sh!t I thought the only reason to ride a 5hunnert was for wheelies 8). No wonder I'm so slow :roll:   Actually since I weigh 260+ it doesn't wheelie as bad for me as it would for someone much lighter. The thing I like about the steep gears in the woods is that you can click it into 2nd or 3rd and ride in one gear for the most part, and not have to go 50 mph to do it. I also don't run a fww BUT I don't race I just playride and goof off. It sounds like your ALOT more serious about your riding than me, I'm just out there to have fun and to answer the inevitable questions with "yeah it's a 500" and "no you cant ride it" LOL!!!

Rick

tight woods gearing
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2003, 02:15:14 AM »
Wait until your kid asks to ride your 500, makes you feel old.  My 13 year old likes to tear it up on my 500 while I "hold" his 125 (just too much clutch work for me to want to ride). At 155 pounds, he has touble keeping the front wheel on the ground no matter what the gearing, but still loves the power.  I have been trying to talk him into jumping to the 500 and race the Open expert class instead of the 125 expert next year, but he still says he wants a 250 next year.  

When you can ride a 500 with alllllll that power, why would anyone ever choose anything else?  Might it be that some are a little short in the manly department?  :wink:

Rick

Offline gwcrim

tight woods gearing
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2003, 01:15:21 AM »
When you can ride a 500 with alllllll that power, why would anyone ever choose anything else?

Now there's a question for that old bearded man on top of the mountain!
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change

yzmike

Gears
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2003, 01:11:16 AM »
EZ RIDER has it dialed in.

tomasaki

tight woods gearing
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2003, 03:54:42 PM »
I use 13:47.  I just changed the stock 14 because I had a 13 on hand, so it didn't cost anything.  As soon as the stock chain or stock rear sprocket goes, I'm going to 13:52 for the low 1st gear.  It makes the tight stuff easier and saves the clutch.  It also makes the chain and sprockets last alot longer.

Tom L.