Author Topic: 18" wheel broken spoke HELP  (Read 3655 times)

afritts4u

18" wheel broken spoke HELP
« on: December 14, 2005, 05:29:08 AM »
I broke a spoke last weekend. Tired from riding all day left my bike at my friends house and forgot about the spoke. I?m riding again this weekend and need to fix it fast, or possible ride with it broken.

Because I have a 18" rear wheel on a stock kx500 Hub I cannot find the correct part number or source for a single spoke. I know most of us have 18" rear wheels and must have some sources. Also if I cannot find one in time is it "mot recommended" to ride with a broken spoke?

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
RE: 18" wheel broken spoke HELP
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 06:27:42 AM »
I bought my spokes from Buchannon. Perhaps a quick call to them may help out. I will post thier web and phone number when I get home tonight.  If I remember right, they are hard to find on the web, but I have thier catalog at my house.
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 11:49:16 AM »
Ah yes I remember, they spell it Buchanan.  WWW.buchananspokes.com  I was spelling it wrong again.
 Phone number is 1 626 969 4655  Hope this helps.
  They should link thier correct website to the misspelling and everyone could find them easier.
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 05:19:55 AM »
A4,
  You might be able to use a stock 19" spoke & nipple and lengthen the threads with a die (dealer will have).  You would have to take the tire off though to cut it to length and replace the nipple. Cam.

afritts4u

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 04:09:17 AM »
Thanks for all the helpfull tips. I cannot find a local dealer or parts supply that will provide a single spoke, only sell in kits.  I think for this weekends ride Im going to have it welded together right on the bike. Then Im probably going to go with new rims and spoks on bolth ends. As far as I know you can weld spokes being S.S. ???

Offline Spider

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 04:30:33 AM »
I've ridden before with missing spokes but, not with as large a bike as the K5. stainless can be welded but I'm not to sure about it holding the stress a spoke endures. If you do get it welded be sure to unplug the CDI to protect it from the voltage spike the welding process causes.

Dale

afritts4u

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 05:18:52 AM »
Goot tip on the voltage, I will take off the wheel just to be safe. My last ride I think I rode for about 45min with it broken. At 90+mph though its not worth testing. I will keep you posted on how well the weld holds up. May be usefull for other riders.

Brett

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2005, 01:39:43 PM »
You may be best to turn up a sleaveto slide over and then just tack weld at each end.

afritts4u

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 04:43:59 AM »
I wire tied the loose spoke to another one. Rode motocross at Lake Ellsinore MX Park. Was launching 50+ footers and the wheel never went out of true. Worked so good I think I will just take all the spokes off, lol.  It will be fixed with a new spoke this week but for those of you who ever wondered if you could ride with a broken spoke, most likely it would be absolutely no problem!

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Re: RE: 18" wheel broken spoke HELP
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 02:50:24 PM »
Quote from: afritts4u
I wire tied the loose spoke to another one. Rode motocross at Lake Ellsinore MX Park. Was launching 50+ footers and the wheel never went out of true. Worked so good I think I will just take all the spokes off, lol.  It will be fixed with a new spoke this week but for those of you who ever wondered if you could ride with a broken spoke, most likely it would be absolutely no problem!

Be careful! I did that and ended up nearly losing my rear for that reason, as it puts quite some power to that tire and it will end up busting all the spokes. Make sure you keep the spokes tight and don't let the losen up.

You might consider upgrading to the Excel spokes, they are about twice as thick as the stock spokes. I've used them for a few years and have yet to even come lose. It costs about $80 and it fits to a stock hub and rim. I also had a 18 inch rim and they fit. Good luck.