Author Topic: 00 kx5 case mods  (Read 1398 times)

Offline rider4christ

00 kx5 case mods
« on: December 04, 2022, 05:37:40 PM »
My kick shaft has worn through and ovaled out the holes it rests in on the right side case and clutch cover causing it to “slip” out of place when kicked. Has anyone ever done any modifications to prevent this? It’s a long shot , but I was wondering if a machining pro could hone it circular again and then fit a bearing ring in it that the shaft could rest on, thus saving the case from wearing from hard kicks. I believe most bikes have this set up?

I will probably end up buying the right side and clutch cover for some ridiculous price, but will be left over with these originals to experiment with. Any ideas?

All input is appreciated!

Offline KXDINO

Re: 00 kx5 case mods
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2022, 05:21:40 PM »
A good machine shop should fix that , and get the head fitted with a decomp button it will make it easier to start and less stress on the starting conponents.

Offline rider4christ

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2022, 01:40:17 PM »
Hey thank you for replying! I wasn’t notified.

That is what I’m doing next is calling around to machine shops. If no one has confidence to do it, it can cost about $1,000 in parts alone. Used parts.

Thanks again for the advice, hopefully there is a shop that’ll be willing to take that on.

Offline motorman455

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2023, 02:49:56 AM »
I drilled mine out with a simple handrill and put a bronze bushing in. Its now better than new! I may even have some extra bushings still...

Offline alward25

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2023, 12:27:35 PM »
Tom Morgan can repair it.  Steve Wells sells new ones.  Kickstart idler gear is the name.
"Let there be light"

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2023, 05:32:15 AM »
Wow! I'm shocked you still come here  :-P
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline rider4christ

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2023, 05:05:55 PM »
We’ll Tom Morgan wasn’t much help… I Found a machinist in town and the price for him to do the work is about the same cost as buying a new case half and the same amount of work for me. Eventually I will repair it probably with a new case (as new as I can get) and try motrman455’s suggestion on the old half. For now I’m looking into electric start just so I can ride it again. Thinking about it more it would probably be a good tool in racing the Baja. That race is so exaughting then last thing you want to be doing is attempting to kick over your 500 you just crashed and flooded. Would really like my kicker to work though.

Motorman445 any info on how you drilled and bushing’d that yourself would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

Offline rider4christ

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2023, 04:43:12 PM »
I drilled mine out with a simple handrill and put a bronze bushing in. Its now better than new! I may even have some extra bushings still...

What type and size bit did you use to drill and what size bushing? I bought one, but may have to modify it. Did you jog weld it to get it to hold still?

Thanks.