Author Topic: 87 500 Winter Restore completion  (Read 2030 times)

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
87 500 Winter Restore completion
« on: November 10, 2005, 06:17:50 AM »
I have now been restoring and riding my 87 500 for almost two years. This winter I will teardown and complete my list of items I made over a year ago. In my album a.hughes 87 500 is the current bike. I wanted to stay with the factory look but not this winter.

Items that will complete this restore:

IMS oversized fuel tank(May get a new one if the used one I have can't be fixed)

Main frame and sub frame: power coat or spray painted kawasaki green.

Blue Excel rims front(20") rear (18")

Cylinder replate with new top end

new crank bearings and rod kit

Complete bearing replacment in engine

Custom american flag seat cover

yellow back grounds for open class

may update fenders and use 04 500 shrouds

I'll try to keep pictures in the gallery as I tear down and reassembly.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline GDubb

RE: 87 500 Winter Restore completion
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 01:36:06 PM »
Cant wait to see how it turns out. As it sits yours is the nicest old schooler I have ever seen. Also I never knew that the yellow backgrounds meant open class. Although now that I think back I dunno how I missed that one.  Ive been thinking about backgrounds and new numbers(25 came on the bike and has no significance to me) but was going to just go with black backgrounds and white numbers... now I have something else to consider. Would probly look pretty good with the gold excels I've been dreaming about. Also been considering going back to the original style rear fender and maybe a natural IMS tank. Kinda the desert race look cause I think those bikes look bada$$ when they are all decked out and race-ready. Anyways... cant wait too see how yours comes out.
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Offline Timbowe

RE: 87 500 Winter Restore completion
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 07:16:54 PM »
Bling is King bro. Do it stuart.  Exells are sweet az. Specially in blue.
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 12:48:53 AM »
Thanks Guys. When there was an open class in motocross yellow was the color and white was 125 and black was 250. Motocross seems to have gotten away from back ground color to define a class. The woods and desert racing are using red and blue back grounds now. But yellow will always be open class to me.
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

Offline Ramski

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 10:31:39 AM »
Good point!  Totally forgot about the different background colors then.  Might need to go out and get me some yeller ones now.
Danny Lesovsky

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 02:11:31 PM »
I started this weekend putting the engine back together. New crank bearing,trans bearings, rod kit, oil seal kit, clutch kit, shift forks, Cylinder is going to lukesracing for replate this coming weekend. I have a new top end kit for it. I am not going to be able to do all the things listed above in my first post. Me and my wife went overboard on x-mas and money is tight. But if I get the frame painted and my all my engine work done everything else can be done this summer and won't require complete teardown but some nice bike work on a weekend.
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com