Author Topic: Transmision Shift Forks  (Read 2251 times)

dirtball

Transmision Shift Forks
« on: November 02, 2005, 07:58:28 AM »
So I have my baby all the way apart, and I belive I have found the source of my shifting problems.  The small nubs on the shift forks that fit into the shift drum are worn below spec.  Does anyone have any suggestions on the cheapest place to order new trans shift forks from?

THanks!

Dirtball

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
RE: Transmision Shift Forks
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 10:55:16 AM »
Dirtball, what was your trans doing? Was it jumping out of gear ? Sorry but I dont know how to get new parts cheap. Except that most dealers in Michigan will give 10-20% discount for belonging to the Michigan Cycle Conservation Club.  MCCC lobbies the Government to groom the trails and allow the MCCC to make new trails. Best wishes on your trans project.
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

dirtball

Transmision Shift Forks
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 07:22:38 PM »
The transmission was not shifting real nicely when it was running.  You could go up and down through the gears with no problems when the engine was off.  
I have the cases apart now, the only part thats under spec according to the service manual is the nubs on the shift forks that fit into the shift drum.  It makes sense that this is the source of my shifting problem, the way there worn, there not going to move as freely in the shift drum as they should be to shift properly.  The gears are all in good shape and moving on the gear shafts  nicely.

Brett

Transmision Shift Forks
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 07:43:21 PM »
You should check the drive dogs on the gears to make sure they are not rounded.  I had a problem a while back where third gear would not be able to be selected as would pop out, it was the dogs rounded off by f**kall (1mm radius) which caused massive side load and popped off one of the circlips. All i did was very carefully get the 4 inch angle grinder with one of those 1mm cutoff discs and equally took off the same amount of material from the 3 dogs.  You cannot do the female dogs as you cannot get anything in there but this was the perfect fix for a gear that was otherwise perfect and has had probably 15 hours abuse since no probs.  While case is apart buy all new bearings and seals from a bearing shop as they are 1/3 the price of bike shop (in aus anyway)

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
Transmision Shift Forks
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 05:17:08 AM »
To avoid problem with gearbox you have to shims it like this. :wink:
Make sure everything it?s aligned and not to tight. :wink:

//doordie
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!