Author Topic: FMF Pipe  (Read 2288 times)

Offline maxfli11

FMF Pipe
« on: April 30, 2019, 03:38:44 AM »
Hey folks
I have an FMF Gnarley pipe, that came on the bike when I bought it. Is there any way of knowing if this is the correct pipe for the KX500, or at least the 91 model. As you can see in the pictures. the only pipe bracket that comes close to being right is the one just forward of the side cover, and it's about 1 1/2' off. The one under the radiator cover is almost directly straight shot and the bottom one isn't even close. The diameter of the pipe under the side plate seems a little large also. The side cover is on it so hard it melts it and holds it out from the bike. Had to make two make shift adapters to get the pipe good and secure, and i don't know if they'll hold up. I don't see any model or serial numbers on this pipe.

Offline maxfli11

Re: FMF Pipe
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 03:43:34 AM »
pics

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 03:49:55 AM »
the serial numbers should be stamped on the top mount tab...the mount located under the tank. If you can locate those numbers, you can go on FMF's site and cross reference them.
It appears to be the Desert pipe...it's definitely not the woods pipe.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline maxfli11

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 03:56:38 AM »
It says goldseries above the FMF logo. When i get home tonight I'll look again for that number. Thanks

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 04:02:05 AM »
You "may" have to take the pipe off to get a good clear look at the numbers...don't be surprised if you have to.
Instead of looking on FMF's site like I previously mentioned...it'd be much faster to just call them, and give them the numbers...I had to do this with an old 250 pipe, and it was soooo much easier to just talk to someone.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline maxfli11

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 01:21:22 PM »
the serial numbers should be stamped on the top mount tab...the mount located under the tank. If you can locate those numbers, you can go on FMF's site and cross reference them.
It appears to be the Desert pipe...it's definitely not the woods pipe.
Got a look at it today. You are right it is a desert pipe for a kx500. What it doesn't say is what year. There are three numbers in front of the number they recognize, it's 074. May have to call tomorrow. I'll probably need to do some welding to make it fit like i want. Thanks for the help.

Offline motorman455

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 02:24:06 PM »
Hard to tell from the pics but it looks like you're missing the isolator mounting brackets?

Offline maxfli11

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 06:37:39 AM »
Hard to tell from the pics but it looks like you're missing the isolator mounting brackets?
The last one toward the silencer is there, with a slight modification piece added. It lacks about 3/4" lining up. The bottom one isn't even close enough to make work and the middle one under the radiator shroud is almost dead straight in line. No offset. I've got all new isolator brackets, they just won't fit.