Author Topic: crank mods  (Read 8084 times)

Offline YUNGGUNNAZ

crank mods
« on: October 26, 2005, 02:44:45 PM »
anyone using a crank thats been textured.some have tried using vanes with little sucess.and i have plugged some in other makes.but saw a ad for a mod i believe was call turbo crank were the counter weights had a textured look.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
Re: crank mods
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 03:07:07 PM »
Quote from: YUNGGUNNAZ
anyone using a crank thats been textured.some have tried using vanes with little sucess.and i have plugged some in other makes.but saw a ad for a mod i believe was call turbo crank were the counter weights had a textured look.

Sounds like it was shot peened. We do that where I work. Metal gets shot peened to make it stronger. Most of what we do is oil field related pipe or pipe like parts. We blast the thread area with steel shot. It mashes the molecules together at the surface of the metal. It makes the threads stronger in the low part of the threads, less likely to fatigue crack.

Danger
KX 500 Rider

Offline Timbowe

RE: Re: crank mods
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 04:57:20 PM »
Same as conrods?
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Rowdy-Yates

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
RE: Re: crank mods
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 01:43:51 AM »
Definitely not shot peened, and yes to Timbowe connection rods in almost all real race motors are shot peened.
Most of the moving parts in jet engines are shot peened. It looks like the crank that Yunggunnaz is talking about, and the one on ebay has been knurled real deep. Most bench press bars have been knurled where you grab the bar. Most stocks on hunting rifles have knurling. Looks like a cool modification.

Danger
KX 500 Rider

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
Re:crank mods: shot peen picture
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 02:58:58 AM »
Shot peening really works. The parts you see are change over subs, it's used for changing from one thread type to another. The parts you see are used for boring holes under the road bed of streets and highways for the gas and electric companies. These parts without shot peening break off the pin end from fatigue cracks after about 2 months of use. With shot peening they rarely fatigue crack, and use shoots up to 9 month to a year.
With the naked eye all you can see is the shine has been removed. With a 30x lenses you can see small dents in the metal. We do a 150% to 200% blast coverage to make sure the whole area is covered. And yes I have done connection rods and cam shafts for friends ( on weekends, off the clock, with the boss's permission ). The part on the left has been peened.

Danger
KX 500 Rider

Offline machine

crank mods
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 09:20:32 AM »
Pro-Tappers advertize that they've been shot peened.
Mine do look like they have been...

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
crank mods
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 10:42:07 AM »
Got picture to post of shot peened parts look above on my last post.
KX 500 Rider

Offline YUNGGUNNAZ

crank mods
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 11:24:39 AM »
knurlized crank.thats the better word for it.combine with case stuffing, bound to move intake charge faster.now get it in quick,shove it through,ignited at the right time,BANG and push it out good =POWER.right?

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
crank mods
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2005, 11:44:23 AM »
Quote from: YUNGGUNNAZ
knurlized crank.thats the better word for it.combine with case stuffing, bound to move intake charge faster.now get it in quick,shove it through,ignited at the right time,BANG and push it out good =POWER.right?

I have not had the cases open on a kx500 engine. Is there any area of the crank case that can be stuffed :?:
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Brett

crank mods
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2005, 08:37:36 PM »
Why would you crankcase stuff if you are all adding reed block spacers?  I personally would go for the stuffers and no spacer to get the 250 style power delivery.

Offline YUNGGUNNAZ

crank mods
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2005, 12:27:57 AM »
i agree brett.depending on the riding you do.in sand or dirt drag i have used the spacer as a means of calming the bike down in the middle hit.i personally like it to get a little ignorant sometimes.there's not much room for stuffers but a little for epoxy. :)

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
crank mods
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2005, 02:39:04 AM »
Go the whole way? :twisted:

//doordie
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!

Offline YUNGGUNNAZ

crank mods
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2005, 03:12:09 AM »
you sneaky rascal.is that a sealed bearing too.if so what rpm is it rated at?that stuff does the trick and sounds good too.what are the cases to since its case induction?

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
crank mods
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2005, 11:25:57 AM »
YUNGGUNNAZ,
I don?t know  what you meen by sneaky rascal but I take it something good!
No,it`s a friend of mine but the bearing is C3, no sealed(go to hot with that ,poor lubrication).

//doordie
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!