Author Topic: 87 KX500 - SIZE OF ALL NUTS, BOLTS & WASHERS INCLUDING THREAD SIZE?  (Read 2132 times)

Offline streetsleeper

Hallo all. My KX is pretty much all there, pretty much in original condition and trim, but every nut and bolt that has been taken off must've got lost. They've been replaced with anything that "fits" - in other words forced and bodged into place. A lot of them were very difficult to remove, and most of the threads are damaged. The first thing I have to do, to get mine back up and road/off road worthy, is replace all them all. Some firms used to do kits - for instance a kit containing all the bolts needed to rebuild an engine using Allen screws. Of course I'm sure I could get every one OEM but that'd cost a fortune.
I need virtually every nut, bolt and washer to replace the tank, all the plastics that screw into the tank, the radiator, the subframe etc. also to mount the exhaust. Luckily, all the ones in the engine are fine.
What does everyone use? What's best? Do you use Allen screws? Is the thread size standard metric? All the threads need to be tapped, or perhaps have inserts fitted, but I have to do this right as I intend to cover a lot of ground on the KX and shall be using it as daily transport.
1st PHOTO:Here is a picture of ALL that I have:
2nd PHOTO: Edit to post. I have found this on eBay at about $US 50. Anyone bought these? If so, are they the right ones, fit OK, any feedback? 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 06:28:09 AM by streetsleeper »

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: 87 KX500 - SIZE OF ALL NUTS & BOLTS INCLUDING THREAD SIZE?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 05:56:29 AM »
you can buy kits to replace all hardware...whether on e-bay, RockyMountainATV, BikeBandt….depenps on your budget...you can buy different size kits for your needs.

You'll may need to contact the seller and specify you're lookin for an '87 kit...maybe not, but better to be safe.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Body-Bolt-Original-Kit-Kawasaki-KX-100-125-250-500-plastics-f-r-fenders-seat/150921692387

« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 06:07:22 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline streetsleeper

Re: 87 KX500 - SIZE OF ALL NUTS, BOLTS & WASHERS INCLUDING THREAD SIZE?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 06:31:59 AM »
Thanks Foxx4Beaver. I'll be trying the companies you suggested as well (EDIT - it's the same company: Specbolt!). The one good thing is I got a internet package where all my phone calls are free to the US, so I'll check with year specifics too, and if they're willing to send them I can make a start!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 06:39:54 AM by streetsleeper »

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: 87 KX500 - SIZE OF ALL NUTS, BOLTS & WASHERS INCLUDING THREAD SIZE?
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 06:43:34 AM »
Yes Specbolt...I have a couple kids on hand all the time. They hold up pretty well...the bolts on my bikes have seen dozens of washes and muddy rides, and still look nice and shiney.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ