Author Topic: Rear wheel HP....how much??  (Read 9597 times)

Flattracker60

Rear wheel HP....how much??
« on: October 21, 2005, 07:35:59 AM »
My CR500 I ice raced was 55.5 rear wheel HP(Dyno Jet). I know dyno's vary, but what has anyone dyno'd their stock KX 500? I would guess it to be in the high 40's......

Offline Timbowe

RE: Rear wheel HP....how much??
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 08:18:47 AM »
Are'nt they rated at 65 hp at the crank? Minus 10% for O ring chain or less for non ring. 55 hp at worst. Torque and where it is made is the most important thing with the bikes I reckon.
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Flattracker60

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 09:59:42 AM »
I should ad, my CR was an Eric Gorr job(ported, compression, VP C-12, PWK carb, reeds, PC pipe, etc.). My stock CR(had a few of them) dyno'd on the same dyno at 45RWHP. My guess would be the KX is more than a stock CR.....no??

Offline demographic

Re: Rear wheel HP....how much??
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 10:32:40 AM »
Quote from: Flattracker60
My CR500 I ice raced was 55.5 rear wheel HP(Dyno Jet). I know dyno's vary, but what has anyone dyno'd their stock KX 500? I would guess it to be in the high 40's......

Nice try bud but yer baits gone off :lol:

delusionised

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 01:51:29 PM »
I should ad, my CR was an Eric Gorr job(ported, compression, VP C-12, PWK carb, reeds, PC pipe, etc.). My stock CR(had a few of them) dyno'd on the same dyno at 45RWHP. My guess would be the KX is more than a stock CR.....no??

45? sounds about right when you have an oil rag stuck in your carb boot...

Flattracker60

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 02:57:58 AM »
Quote from: demographic

My baits gone off???  What are you talking about.

What I want to know is......how many of you guys have put your bike on a dyno YOURSELF!! If you are giving me something that a friend of a friend did....I'm not interested.

delusionised

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2005, 05:43:17 PM »
Quote from: demographic

My baits gone off???  What are you talking about.

What I want to know is......how many of you guys have put your bike on a dyno YOURSELF!! If you are giving me something that a friend of a friend did....I'm not interested.

Both dyno charts are right out of dirt-rider and dirt-bike magazine, fairly reliable sources, if you look close you find there is also one for a STOCK CR500 at 55 rwhp, and the KX500 at 54.5 rwhp, High 40's horsepower is in the 250cc range, better go calibrate that dyno and run some more tests.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005, 02:36:55 AM »

Troll.  :roll:

Flattracker60

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2005, 01:51:47 PM »
Troll?? No, usually I prefer casting over trolling. But thanks for the tip. Trolling is for lazy people, not pro class ice racers looking for tips on a message board.

What I know how to do is race, that's all. If you can help me with some KX tips, I'm all ears. I'm not here to troll, I'm here to learn. Your not helping Gowen.

edkx

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2005, 02:17:20 PM »
I have not dynoed mine but my seat of the pants dyno tells me that my 86CR500 had more of a midrange hit but my kx has substantially more topend, if that helps at all.Sorry!

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2005, 01:02:10 AM »
Troll?? No, usually I prefer casting over trolling. But thanks for the tip. Trolling is for lazy people, not pro class ice racers looking for tips on a message board.

What I know how to do is race, that's all. If you can help me with some KX tips, I'm all ears. I'm not here to troll, I'm here to learn. Your not helping Gowen.

I think it's great if you are here to learn, but I still have yet to see a decent question. Maybe I missed something, but after reading your posts again and again, it still looks as if you are coming in to "Troll". But, maybe I got the wrong impression. If so, I apologize.

So, your question.. Are you asking how much stock horsepower a KX has? Read the article. Dynoed 54hp stock. Something you don't understand is, all dynos are different. A dyno can be used for measuring from one point to another. Example, stock dyno 54hp..after mods 82hp. That's a 28hp gain. Not bad. I used a dyno ONLY to measure the difference, it is not a reference for how much HP it actually has. So, your dyno might say 45hp, my shops might say 54hp. Nobody really knows the real hp #s, because every dyno is different, some closer to eachother than others. The #s are guessed by a machine. That is why you use the dyno for before (stock) and afters (modified) only. Same with my street bike, I measured 161hp stock, after mods I had 183hp. Neither might be correct, even though a noob would think I have 183hp. The true fact is, the #s are unknown. All I care is that I gained 28 hp out of my off road and 22 out of my street. The actual #s don't matter to me.

Flattracker60

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2005, 02:23:58 AM »
Gowen said..."Something you don't understand is, all dynos are different".

Dude, read my first post please....I'll help ya out there bud, it says, " I know all dyno's vary"!!  And when I asked if anyone dyno'd there KX, I meant someone on this board, not a magazine. I'm looking for people that have put their own KX on a dyno. If know one has, I'm OK with that.

Chris Daniels

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2005, 02:46:46 AM »
Dude, first off.. Chill out. It's great you race professionally, but I personally don't give a s**t. You are just an individual, no greater than any other. So, I will answere any question, from you or others, as if you were/are a noob: just like I would expect people to me.

So read my post now: I dynoed 54hp stock. :idea: The magazines dynoed 56hp and 60hp. The dynos I listed were done at our local shop.

hoopty

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2005, 03:15:51 AM »
I was trying to avoid this like the plague but here goes...

Dyno's are useless for anything other than tuning. It is a number, pure and simple that is at the mercy of the operator for the most part. The only number that matters is ET, podium position, and who crosses the line first. Coming from a CR lineage and asking about dyno numbers on a KX site is percieved as "trolling". Why? Because CR riders think thier bikes are Gods gift. YZ, RM and KX riders are the same way.

At the end of the day a dyno number means nothing. I'm not a pro motorcycle racer, I do this for enjoyment, BUT I do understand dynos and race an EFI Renegade Mustang. I can't tell you what it's peak HP/TQ numbers are because they don't mean anything. I can tell you it's good for 9.27 @ 151MPH.

<Forest Gump Voice>
And that's all I gots to say about that...
</Forest Gump Voice>