Author Topic: All about reed spacers -  (Read 96762 times)

2001KX5

Re: All about reed spacers - one of the best mods
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2006, 11:21:30 AM »
How do you guys think this would work in conjunction with EG mo-better porting I have?

Offline Timbowe

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2006, 01:24:50 PM »
Enhansment!
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2006, 11:53:04 AM »
After owning the reed spacer for almost a year, I finally slipped it into my k5. It did make a difference and right where everyone said it would be, off idle and at low rpm.   It was super easy to install, and gave me a chance to look very closely at my reeds.  After 240 gallons of fuel through the bike, my reeds look like new. I no longer need the flywheel spacer, as my arms have gotton stronger, and this spacer seems to smooth out the hit a little. I put new rings in the bike  at 200 gallons of fuel.  When do you guys change the rings ?
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline Lassla

• After and befour
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2007, 11:10:54 PM »
Yes i know its the kx500 forum, but have someone tryed reed spacer on a kx250
for more low power. :?
//Lasse

SupermotoFan

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2007, 01:18:11 AM »
Yes i know its the kx500 forum, but have someone tryed reed spacer on a kx250
for more low power. :?
//Lasse

I just ordered and received a Moose torque spacer for my RM250 (the KX500 is still in pieces and in need of a re-plated cylinder).  I hope to install it today and give some results by tomorrow afternoon.

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2007, 02:47:24 AM »
anybody try thicker spacer. like 1/2-3/4 spacers.

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2007, 03:00:47 AM »

I have thought about a thicker spacer, however it is almost impossible to get to the carb to adjust the needle or change jets with the spacer in anyway. The space is .308 inches, at least this what I measured mine to be before I installed it. The only way I can see to go any thicker would be to make it thicker on one side to straighten out the path so the back of the carb would fit between the frame. That would cause even more boot problems.  I think it is probably as thick as you can get it. The only other possibility would be some of the conversions being done to put KX5 motors into aluminum frames and then maybe you could plan for a thicker spacer in your conversion. :-D
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline kaw rider

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2007, 03:56:59 AM »
Why Reed Spacers?

Basically, reed spacers allow you to move your power band around depending on placement.

The most common installation for street use is to mount them between the reed block cage and the engine. This will effectively move your power band to a lower rev range and allow you to make better use of the power available for street riding.

The second type of installation is to mount them between the manifold and the reed block cage. This will move the manifold back further and raise the power band for better midrange and top end.

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2007, 05:10:22 AM »
 I bought a '97 K5, that had a Billet  Boysen reed cage that had a thicker intake by at least a 1/2". The carb is very close to the frame, and you need to hold your tongue just right to get it back into the air box, but adjusting it is really no different. I can only assume that Boysen is adding some engineering to it though, because it has been on there the whole time. I have asked around about after-market reeds to local experts in the past, and have had mixed responses. Some of them don't think it could even be a noticeable upgrade.
  I can't believe how many guys on here really want more out of the 500. I say after a pipe and tire, to get more acceleration think about gearing. Big changes can happen with one tooth on the countershaft 

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2007, 06:56:11 AM »
I know that when I installed my reed spacer the big difference I noticed was that, with the same gearing I could ride one gear higher without bogging down or fowling plugs. It was as though the spacer moved the power band just where I needed it!

Alan :-D :-) :-D
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2007, 06:59:14 AM »
I bought a '97 K5, that had a Billet  Boysen reed cage that had a thicker intake by at least a 1/2". The carb is very close to the frame, and you need to hold your tongue just right to get it back into the air box, but adjusting it is really no different. I can only assume that Boysen is adding some engineering to it though, because it has been on there the whole time. I have asked around about after-market reeds to local experts in the past, and have had mixed responses. Some of them don't think it could even be a noticeable upgrade.
  I can't believe how many guys on here really want more out of the 500. I say after a pipe and tire, to get more acceleration think about gearing. Big changes can happen with one tooth on the countershaft 

A wise man once said to much horse power is barely adequate. I wish Kawasaki would have made a kx600 with nitrous oxide as a factory option :evil:
Yep, that is like " The Best Is Barely Good Enough" :-D :-D
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline fullbore55

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2007, 03:01:24 PM »
I guess I'll be ordering a reed spacer! :-D

Offline fullbore55

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2007, 02:53:13 PM »
Can anyone tell me how much top end I'll lose with the spacer.  I really like the top end hit for open fire-roads.   I can't really imagine the spacer taking any horsepower away on the top end.  I would think that maybe a rad valve would make up for this loss. 

Offline kaw rider

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2007, 03:48:31 PM »
I'm going to test my 3/4" spacer this weekend.

Offline fullbore55

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2007, 03:55:20 PM »
My moose spacer came in today.  I just need to wait for my Pro-Series reeds... :wink: