Author Topic: overheating kx500  (Read 2555 times)

red

overheating kx500
« on: August 12, 2005, 02:53:39 PM »
I have a 2000 kx500 that keeps overheating every time I ride it in sand,especially shooting the hills.I just had the engine rebuilt top to bottom and my jetting is good. any help would be appreciated.

hoopty

RE: overheating kx500
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 03:04:14 PM »
Engine Ice worked for me, also you need to ensure your radiator cap is in good working order with the obvious, no leaks anywhere.

red

RE: overheating kx500
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 04:55:18 AM »
I am using  engine ice also and have not had any leaks since replacing radiator cap with a used one off a cr250,but it keeps coming out the overflow tube.I was told as long as they are both 1.1 it was the same.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
overheating kx500
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 08:25:57 AM »
When was the last time you changed the fluid :?: Reason I asked is just wanted to make sure you purged all the air out of the system. If you do not open the air bleed on top of the head during the filling process their will be air pockets. You will think it's full when it isn't. Somebody might be able to help with this but I think there is a higher pressure radiator cap avilable. I would think that your jetting should be alittle rich for sand riding. This would help due to the load and high revs. Could lean or spot on jetting cause excess combustion temps with the loads and high rev's of sand riding :?: If so you might on the edge of a piston failure. Maybe somebody with sand riding experience can help.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com