Author Topic: Throttle Problem  (Read 4875 times)

Offline Johnny 5

Throttle Problem
« on: June 25, 2016, 08:57:29 AM »
Trying to get this thing back together.
Throttle opens slide to far and needle comes out of emulsion tube, then slide won't return!
Anyone else have this problem? Cure? I know nothing about it, fixing for my son's friend.
Somewhat of a restoration. New piston/ bore ,bla bla bla

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: Throttle Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 09:07:05 AM »
start by checking the cable routing, making sure there's plenty of slack, even when turning the handlebars left & right.
is the "throttle valve spring" that sits on top of the slide installed?
is it the correct needle?

post a pic or two, or even a video, if you can.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Johnny 5

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 01:12:44 PM »
Maximum slack in cable, throttle turns fair amount before it even starts to pull cable.
Owner bent original needle 6f6 , replaced with 6fj6 (might have dilexiated)
Cables routing would have nothing to do with it lifting slide to far . Does it with carb off engine.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 01:40:30 PM »
you should look at a breakdown of that carb, just to be sure you're not missing any parts....since you stated in your 1st post that you "know nothing about it".

and just so you know, cable routing can and will cause a slide to lift if there's not enough slack....the cable(which is connected to the slide) gets pulled up from the top of the carb if there's not enough slack...but since you claim there's enough slack, look elsewhere.

Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Johnny 5

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 11:28:46 PM »
I agree that if riding improper routing could cause throttle issue. But still wouldn't cause throttle to pull so far as to make needle lift out of emulsion tube. Slide lifts about 1/4" above carb bore.

Think I'll try something for a type of stop in the housing, maybe little screw. I know carb cap is jacked up because there's no threads for adjuster.
Owner has priorities a little backwards. Bought all new plastic and had them hydrodipped and there are other issues that are more important.
Plus, he just got fired from his job.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 07:07:05 AM »
this is why I say you should look at breakdown of that carb, and be sure everything is in order....sounds like a previous owner somewhere along the way, has been in there, and did more damage than good.

Offline Johnny 5

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 09:18:04 AM »
Just like every other carb I've worked on, slide, needle, needle holder, cable retention clip, cable, spring, cap.
Just like the drawings.

I ended up with a small Screw in the twist housing to limit the pull.

Forgot, cap gasket

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 09:21:53 AM »
if that were the case, you shouldn't be having issues....and I say this, because you don't know if it has all the "correct" parts in it....you said it yourself, that you know nothing about it...
but, best of luck.  
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 09:46:15 AM by Foxx4Beaver »