Author Topic: 2017 Huskys  (Read 8254 times)

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Foxx4Beaver

Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline kxpegger

Re: 2017 Huskys
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 03:14:31 PM »
I just recently retired and can't spend money like I use to...knock it off!
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F

Offline LukeG

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 07:46:27 PM »
Not sure about the air forks. I would also like to see if they are bringing out an updated FS450.

Could we lobby KTM to dust off the tooling for the 550 engine with a bit of modern R&D, or at least the cylinder.
1990 KX250 - Wanna be road racer!
2007 DRZ 462 Motard

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 08:09:45 PM »
I just recently retired and can't spend money like I use to...knock it off!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline umberto

• Administrator
  • First Ride 02-02-19
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 01:26:57 AM »
Not sure about the air forks. I would also like to see if they are bringing out an updated FS450.

Could we lobby KTM to dust off the tooling for the 550 engine with a bit of modern R&D, or at least the cylinder.
MXA and Dirt Bike both loved them on the Factory Editions. They said something to the effect of, "it's the biggest step forward for KTM ever".  They said that they're not quite SSS, but they were light years ahead of the 4CS, and better than the Showa and KYB versions.  They were able to use just one air chamber, which makes set up much easier than the other air fork models as well.  I interested to read about the first ride impressions.
Perhaps I have a dirt bike addiction?

03 KX 250/88 KX 525/2017 KX250F - Goliath
17 KX250F/04 KX250
04 KX 250 - Lunchbox's Bike
05 KX 125/144

Offline treedodgingfool

• Dirtbike Dork
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 05:16:25 AM »
With a dry weight of 217/216.lbs with electric start, it concerns me as to where the weight savings was shaved from. I'm of the belief that I'd rather have a small weight penalty for the sake of durability. To shave a good ten or more pounds off a bike makes me think that long term durability is going to suffer (not that the crowd who wants to go through the hassle of setting-up & figuring out a tune on their racebike every year cares about longevity, it just takes me about a year or so usually to find a set-up I like on a new bike). With components like plastic sub-frame assemblies (I know someone who broke one on his racebike in the first couple events of racing it), trimmed down jugs (less cylinder skirt, etc), simplified powervalve assemblies (more crappy springs to break rather then positive gear actuated), I'm not sold.  Then again I fell in love with two of my KX's many years ago, wanted to keep them (because I've yet to find a better replacement, that "oh-ah" factor when you ride something you instantly jive with) and now with over 20k miles a piece on each of them (and many, many rebuilds & resto's later) are still tight & fresh like a new scoot, but I attribute a bit of that to their durability (and not just my OCD maintenance).

I'd like to ride one of these new TX300's and run a fine tooth comb over it, but I don't particularly care for the direction theses manufactures are going in order to save weight, not that I want to ride a tank.  If it's really good, I could make concessions on the longevity factor by ditching it after a season or two, but I'd hate to "hot potato" a bike because of avoiding the possibility of sinking a ton of dough into it (the same dilemma I have with the modern racing 4str's, though that new KX450F is calling my name).
Stay Healthy, Eat your Honey.

Offline kxpegger

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 11:24:04 AM »
With a dry weight of 217/216.lbs with electric start, it concerns me as to where the weight savings was shaved from. I'm of the belief that I'd rather have a small weight penalty for the sake of durability. To shave a good ten or more pounds off a bike makes me think that long term durability is going to suffer (not that the crowd who wants to go through the hassle of setting-up & figuring out a tune on their racebike every year cares about longevity, it just takes me about a year or so usually to find a set-up I like on a new bike). With components like plastic sub-frame assemblies (I know someone who broke one on his racebike in the first couple events of racing it), trimmed down jugs (less cylinder skirt, etc), simplified powervalve assemblies (more crappy springs to break rather then positive gear actuated), I'm not sold.  Then again I fell in love with two of my KX's many years ago, wanted to keep them (because I've yet to find a better replacement, that "oh-ah" factor when you ride something you instantly jive with) and now with over 20k miles a piece on each of them (and many, many rebuilds & resto's later) are still tight & fresh like a new scoot, but I attribute a bit of that to their durability (and not just my OCD maintenance).

I'd like to ride one of these new TX300's and run a fine tooth comb over it, but I don't particularly care for the direction theses manufactures are going in order to save weight, not that I want to ride a tank.  If it's really good, I could make concessions on the longevity factor by ditching it after a season or two, but I'd hate to "hot potato" a bike because of avoiding the possibility of sinking a ton of dough into it (the same dilemma I have with the modern racing 4str's, though that new KX450F is calling my name).

I understand your concerns. I own a SH KX500AF which was built on a 2008 450F frame and a brand new 2004 500 motor. I love the bike and will not sell it as long as I can ride but it has not been the most reliable bike in my stable. Eats dog bone suspension bearings about every 30 hours! Blows out the plastic dampening cylinders in the forks about every 60 hours!  Water pump spur gear broke off the crankshaft requiring an electro discharge machining process to remove the broke off press fit piece inside the crank end (split cases). Much, much more to mention! I own three KTM's now pretty much the same as the newer Husky's minus the air forks. I have had no issues with all three of them other than routine maintenance. My 2011 KTM 450SXF has more hours on it than the KX500AF. My only real concern with all of the newer bikes is "air forks". Not a believer!
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F

Offline treedodgingfool

• Dirtbike Dork
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 08:04:09 AM »
I got a full garage of newer green stuff ('07 KX250 & older) & a mix of vintage yellow & green. One of the scooters is a '04 KX250 chassis/'02 KX500 engine conversion, which has been very reliable considering the condition of the bike that donated the engine (that we thoroughly rebuilt prior to plugging it into the KX250 platform). My '04 KX250/300BB & '03 KX250 have all been dead on reliable (once converted to race gas, no thanks to the ethanol pump gas locally eating crank seals for the few years it took for me to chase down the issue). I just did a complete resto on the KX300 after having around 8k miles & 3 years on the bottom-end since the last case split (top-end gets done at least once a year). It still ran fine, but with a 24HR race coming up and few other events I plan to hit this year, I didn't want to take any chances. I get a season out of linkage bearings or better. I'm still using all the original suspension components, powervalves, etc after 20k miles. I'm not the easiest on bikes (A rider) and the only bike that has managed to survive the kind of clutch abuse I (& my husband) dish out is the KX250's. I've gone through 3 clutch packs/springs & a whole inner/outer basket assembly in one season on the CR250 I used to race. I can get a whole season out of the KX clutch on the other hand and use the OEM basket for several seasons. Personally, I'm skeptical of aluminum frames (gun shy since the CR250 was like riding a tuning fork off-road, even with ridiculously plush suspension, too much trail feedback, aka rigid). I'm not saying KTM's or Euro bikes in general are poorly built (I worked in a off-road focused dealership for a decade where I sold KTM's, Kawasaki's & Suzuki's), just that most of my friends race on orange scooters (& some Betas, GasGas's, etc) and seem to have quirky issues and weird crap break on them.

Overall, the 2str Euro models seem good, but much like my dismay with a few design features on the KX250-R model (05-07 US) when they updated and shaved weight {like how minimal the cylinder skirt is compared to the older engine & being more prone to cracking the cylinder skirt in stock trim without a big-bore, the after-thought center powervalve spring off the governor rod that loves to break, etc.}, I'm concerned the additional weight savings is possibly going to cost longevity on the backside if your racing and keep them more then a season or two. Over half the miles of the 20k+ on my '04 are from off-road races, which is a pretty tall ruler to measure other bikes against durability wise (since most racebikes only see a few seasons, at best).       
Stay Healthy, Eat your Honey.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 10:16:10 AM »

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 09:50:44 PM »

Offline LukeG

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 10:37:26 PM »
I really need to win the lottery. The TX300, FE450 and a 701 would look nice in my shed.
1990 KX250 - Wanna be road racer!
2007 DRZ 462 Motard