Author Topic: 1985 KX500 questions  (Read 40918 times)

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: 1985 KX500 questions
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2016, 02:26:57 AM »
Post a pic of your resonator box.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Abbott

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2016, 11:35:28 PM »
The cracked box

Was able to get a lot done yesterday...
-made the new sleeve from 6061 aluminum for the kick start assembly. I glued the broken pieces together to get a couple rough measurements. just need to machine the engine cover flat so I can have some guys at work weld it together. made a tool that will guide through the kick start shaft seal counter bore so I know the new sleeve will stay nice and straight.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 03:40:42 AM by Abbott »

Offline Abbott

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2016, 11:49:39 PM »
Got the bike apart and motor out of the frame. A lot of work to do and not impressed at all with what the previous owner has done so far.

-tail section cross member needs to be re-welded
-exhaust mount broken (header), needs to be re-welded
-master link was on backwards and almost ground down to nothing
-completely missing the output shaft (front sprocket) retaining nut.
-one motor mount was stripped really bad (easy replacement)
-cylinder looks pretty beat up around the ports. it definitely needs to be stripped and replated
-none of the washers were beaten over against the nuts for any of the gears
-the clutch nut, primary gear nut and flywheel nut were hardly tight...clearly not to spec.
-the flywheel woodruff key was sheared
-piston is still in good shape...need to clean it up and file some rough edges but I can use it
-couple of transmission dogs look a little rounded to me (i'll get pictures up another time and get your opinions)
-still a lot to go through and inspect once I get the manual in. she's going to need some work!!

Oh, and the last picture I just thought was cool because the piston is bigger than my fist...and I don't have small hands LOL

« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 03:41:13 AM by Abbott »

Offline tobys 2 strokes

• My #2 son
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2016, 01:01:40 AM »
I would dump the resonator they are fine with out it.
I think I have a good clutch cover for a 85 if your repair proves to be to much of a pain.

Offline Abbott

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2016, 02:15:44 AM »
Hey Toby. Thank for letting me know! hoping to mill out the engine cover today and then take it to the welding department. If it doesn't work, i'll be sure to let you know.

Offline Abbott

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2016, 02:18:05 PM »
On the mill this afternoon. Forgot to take an after picture. Will get one tomorrow

Center piece was broken. Couple tacks back on it. Polished the pipe up while I was at it.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 03:41:35 AM by Abbott »

Offline Abbott

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2016, 11:22:46 PM »
Another shot of the polished "DG" pipe.

Finished maching. That little cavity will also be filled in.

New beefed up billet T6061 aluminum sleeve that has been TIG welded. This one shouldn't snap!

« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 03:42:02 AM by Abbott »

Offline Abbott

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2016, 11:25:13 PM »
I need to send the cylinder out for a strip and re-plate...who do you guys recommend?

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2016, 01:15:04 AM »
I need to send the cylinder out for a strip and re-plate...who do you guys recommend?

PowerSeal or Millennium....

http://www.powersealusa.com/
http://mt-llc.com/

PowerSeal's in Pennsylvania, and Millennium's in Wisconsin...which ever you're closer to would be the one you want...they're both good.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2016, 03:41:02 AM »
Nice job on the repair...
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Abbott

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2016, 02:07:08 PM »
Well, I was prepping the cylinder to send out and managed to get every head stud off the cylinder except for the last one!! Ugh. So, does anyone have a head stud laying around? I am also looking for a washer and nut for the front sprocket.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2016, 08:30:59 AM »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Abbott

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2016, 11:29:16 PM »
Thanks Fox. unfortunately, couldn't find anything on ebay, bikebandit or partzilla. will have to keep searching....

Tried welding on a nut to the stud first and soaked the b@stard in kroil and applied heat...then broke the nut off the stud! ha! So, last night I was able to machine out the old stud and prepped it for an M10x1.25 helicoil. going to box it up tonight and send it to US Chrome for re-plate and piston skirt coating

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2016, 11:30:54 AM »
Thanks Fox. unfortunately, couldn't find anything on ebay, bikebandit or partzilla. will have to keep searching....

that sucks...if I see something, I'll let you know...unfortunately finding parts for the early ones are getting slimmer and slimmer.

Offline Abbott

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2016, 11:20:33 PM »

that sucks...if I see something, I'll let you know...unfortunately finding parts for the early ones are getting slimmer and slimmer.

Searched for the actual Kawasaki part number for the studs and found a set of 3 on ebay for $16 shipped! also found the washer I need for the front sprocket using the same method. Still no sprocket nut so if anyone comes across one, please let me know!!