Author Topic: Muffler / Silencer - Blow back  (Read 2515 times)

JAD777

Muffler / Silencer - Blow back
« on: July 25, 2005, 08:52:23 AM »
Does anyone have a problem with blow-back (Term?) at the joint between the muffler and the silencer?  I don't seem to be having a good connection (the joint doesn't line up straight).  After riding (not too hard) for a day, it have to clean up the oily/black stuf from my frame and platstic.

I have a 95 KX5 and havn't been able to get the silencer apart (without damage) yet.  I've order a replacment but don't want to try anything too radical incase I wreck it and can't ride.

Other then having some problems with the idle, it runs good - Very strong and it's not fouling the plugs.

If you could send a picture of your muffler connection, it would help ensure mine is setup correctly.

Thanks...

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 10:29:17 AM »
I use high temp silcone on my 87. I have seen stainless clamps with a rubber seal to clamp the two for newer 500. Go to e-bay and type in kawasaki kx and hit search. look trough the pages until you find them. They come in diff. colors.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

mikesmith

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 07:18:51 PM »
If your talking about the joint where the silencer body connects to the silencer pipe,yes.After awhile it blows out the Honda bond I use to seal them in a small spot and I just reseal it.If you find a cure let me know.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2005, 04:21:52 PM »
I put a hose clamp on the pipe end. For some reason I never needed one on the silencer end. Drool ended! Cam.

mikesmith

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2005, 07:51:27 PM »
I zip tie the rubber boot between the silencer and pipe,but I think hes talking about the silencer itself.