Author Topic: 2000 250 output shaft bearing  (Read 3711 times)

Offline lorha1159

2000 250 output shaft bearing
« on: December 20, 2015, 02:46:47 PM »
Hey yall new to the forum. In the process of rebuilding my 250 after it burnt a crank bearing. Want to replace all that needs replacing while i have the cases spilt. All the bearings feel great except the output shaft bearing im not sure about. Its looks fine to the eye but very hard to turn with my hand. Feels smooth just stiff. Sprayed a little brake clean in it and blew it out with air.then i added alittle oil back on to it and still stiff to turn. Took the output and put it through the bearing and it turns smooth feel wise.

Guess my question is should it be a stiffer feeling bearing in general or should i just replace it?

Offline alward25

Re: 2000 250 output shaft bearing
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 03:05:16 PM »
replace
"Let there be light"

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 04:48:51 PM »
replace

+1

Replace them all while your there  :wink:
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline lorha1159

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 11:01:17 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I was leaning towards replacing it. Which brings me to the other part of my question. What is the best way to get out the screws for the tabs that hold the bearing. Did some searching were it was said they were lock-tited in from the factory. Have already used my heat on on the top of the screw head and the opposite side of the case. They wont budge and ive easily tried my impact driver. All that wants to do is try to strip out the insides of the screws. I prefer not to have go to the drill tem out route. Already 0-1 in that area with a coroded stator bolt so i now have a 2 bolt stator :|

Offline lorha1159

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 11:34:22 PM »
Figure ill post what im working with. 2000 250. Got it off craigslist for 800$. Perk of living in navy town usa(norfolk va area). Bike was in storage while guy was transfered here from HI and then he was about to be going for deployment. New spark plug, fresh fuel, and change the trans oil it ran like a top. Took it riding (always ridden 125s) and what a blast this thing was. Didnt know a 2smoke could have so much bottom end. Ran great for 5 hr until it locked up. Got lucky that still kicked over but didnt feel right so i made the lonnnnnnnnngggggggg push from the trail i was on to the truck. Cant wait to ride it again bc upon taking the cylinder of someone had been in the top end before bc the kips lever coming outta the crank case wasnt in the groove the right way. It was to the left causing the valve to not fully close which has me thinking there is still alittle more bottom end to it. :-D  :-D :-D

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 05:30:22 PM »
Depending on how good your impact tip fits, sometimes you have to use one that is slightly bigger and tap it home with a hammer.
Then pull it out, heat it up with a torch then use the impact (Hard wack) quick before it cools.
Works every time.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline SOHC

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 12:37:12 PM »
I bought new screws from Kawasaki, they come with threedlocker already on them, as for getting the old ones out I used one of those long hex bits that goes into a ratcheting screwdriver and hammered it into the screw and used all my strength to push down wile turning