Author Topic: Changing out elec. carb out for non elec carb.  (Read 7181 times)

Offline onekawboy

Changing out elec. carb out for non elec carb.
« on: November 29, 2015, 03:25:50 PM »
Does swapping to a non electronic carb on a 2006 KX250 going to make it a bit tamer for woods?
Allowing the power to be more manageable?

I got this idea from Eric Gorr who replied to with a couple other options too -

Curious if anyone has tried it

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: Changing out elec. carb out for non elec carb.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 04:53:49 PM »
Never tried the carb swap but you can use a flywheel weight, thicker head gasket, and retard your timing.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 10:02:10 PM »
Does swapping to a non electronic carb on a 2006 KX250 going to make it a bit tamer for woods?

unless your woods trails are WOT in 5th gear, the quickest, easiest, and cheapest way to make it "tamer" for the woods, is to just up-shift another gear...to keep the revs down.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 02:49:34 AM »
another relatively cheap option, is going up one tooth on the front sprocket...you could go down a couple teeth on the rear too to get the same results, but front sprockets are a lot cheaper than rears...around $20.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 02:58:50 AM »
And, you can re-cut the squish, re-direct the transfers. and go to a smaller diameter carb.
If it does not already have it you can throw on a woods pipe, carb spacer, and Rad valve  :-D
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline scottysg

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 07:21:51 AM »
As I understand it yes, as there won't be a tps to advance your timing at low rpm and retard it at high rpm. My guess is it will just be more boring and you may lose some max rpm. I would definitely throw on a bigger sprocket up front before changing carbs. Going from 14/49 to 15/40 turned my 250 into a turd. Only problem with gearing it tall like that is these short ratio tranny's don't lend themselves to low speed in first gear. Aka I clutch a ton more at low speeds. But cheap and fast and no retuning!

Offline dave916

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 11:45:15 AM »
How does gearing it up make it a bit tamer for woods?

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 12:22:53 PM »
for the same reason guys run taller gearing on the street....just an example...some of the SuMo guys are running 15/45 and even taller...it makes the acceleration much more gradual and managable compared to running, say 14/48. Top speeds will become greater with taller gearing, but it'll take longer for it to top out...as compared to 14/48, which will accelerate much harder/quicker...but will also reach it's top speed in much less distance.

Offline onekawboy

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 03:42:59 PM »

I got this idea from Eric Gorr who replied to with a couple other options too -

Curious if anyone has tried it

Thanks for the feedback guys -
I have had the bikes suspension re valved for me - aka woods riding and play riding
I am currently running: 13oz FWW - PC works pipe / PC 304 silencer, Rekluse 2.0 , stock gearing 13/51 or 52 I think?

I am not a WOT guy I will open it up where I can -

But my 4T is my main weapon still - ironically though I really want to try and tame it enough to try racing it for a few of the races I do - which I was using it for my club's races we do -open class - and faired pretty well

Offline shrubitup

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 02:55:22 PM »
The 2006 model KX 250 is simply a very aggressive mid top motocross track bike motor. I have had other kx250 before and found different versions of the motor to be much better for woods riding. My favorite thus far have been the 98 / 99 and the 04. They are more torque oriented and have lots of low and power vs strong snap and hit of the late model KX 250.

I suggest if you plan to ride more woods that you shelve the Pro Circuit pipe and purchase a FMF gnarly. Another way to smooth it is to use a Lectron carburetor. They make most smokers feel linear like a four stroke.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 02:57:44 PM by shrubitup »

Offline RoostiusMaximus

• Millar Racing Engines
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 02:26:18 AM »
I've looked at what the guys from Dynatek ignitions had for a map in the bikes up until 04, you'd want to be sure of how the CDI wants its input, if it safeties to a closed tps or wfo. The maps are substantially different.

Offline Actionman

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 04:38:39 PM »
If it's a keihin, why not get a 36mm keihin tps carb from a 2000 kx125? Smaller size for torque, but retains the tps and powerjet? Ive thought about going that route on my 2000 kx250 since I'm a woods rider.

Offline onekawboy

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 04:02:35 PM »
Got a hold of JDjetting recommended unhooking the TPS on the carb-

anyone else done that - make a difference?   

I'm starting to see why people enduro bikes for woods over MX ones - not really love my Kawis.

Offline RoostiusMaximus

• Millar Racing Engines
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 02:03:07 AM »
I`d learn how to use it instead

Offline KXDINO

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2015, 07:55:38 AM »
A very simple mod is to change the shim in the powervalve inside the clutch cover to a kx250 03 , its 1mm instead of 1.5mm , if you need more info let me know our 06 has some major work done to it , engine suspension frame mods etc.the thinner shim smooth the hit , we went 1 size up on flywheel but what your doing I would go 2 size heavier.i still want to do a summary on what we have done and the affects it has on this bike.