Author Topic: 1986 KX500 stator CDI headaches  (Read 1960 times)

Offline Phil

1986 KX500 stator CDI headaches
« on: November 10, 2015, 06:58:35 AM »
Hi all. First post, so be gentle/ patient!
I have a 1986 KX500, bit of a mess when I got it. I think the stator was correct but the flywheel did not to fit taper and inner diameter was wrong. So I machined the taper to fit and adapted the coils further out to give a 1mm gap to the flywheel. The bike ran for I minute and died. It will intermittently run then stop sparking.

A friend gave me a KX125 flywheel, fitted the shaft but obviously not the stator. Got a new old stock KX250 stator that fitted the flywheel. Fitted both of these and appear to have pulses from the timing coil and get 20-30v out of the other coil. Wire colours are (on a plug white with red. White with green. Black with yellow) (separate wire black with red) whites are timing I think, blacks are power?

This stator didn’t match the metal CDI that came with the bike. Got a 250 CDI wire colours (on a plug white with red. White with green. Black with yellow) so plug matches stator. (separate long wire Green with White) and (two short wires Black with white, both are connected together inside the CDI)
So the plug fits, two short blacks with white are kill switch and HT coil. Leaves the two separate long wires. I connected it all and the two long wires and no spark. I’m lost and out of ideas!

Many thanks, Phil