Author Topic: 90' kx80 bottom end rebuild  (Read 8815 times)

Offline Polloloko80

90' kx80 bottom end rebuild
« on: September 24, 2015, 07:04:41 AM »
So i got my crankshaft rebuilt and started the reassembly on sat. I finished yesterday and got some pics. I actually did this rebuild not knowing anything about 2 strokes. The only thing i had was my clymer manual the internet and youtube. So i kinda proud of myself. Although i must sdmit the shift shaft wasnt sitting properly snd ehen i tried putting the clutch cover on a got a hairline crack on my cover. I just JB welded it. Hope it works. Other thsn thst its good to go. Ima mount it on fri or sat. Cant wait to ride it.

Offline Polloloko80

Re: 90' kx80 bottom end rebuild
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 07:06:53 AM »

Offline dave916

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 08:46:06 AM »
Did u use a crankshaft jig when pressing that crank?  Was it a tight fit when pressing?

Offline Polloloko80

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 05:03:23 AM »
I actually took my crankshaft to a nearby Kawasaki dealer and shop and had them do the connecting rod and big end bearing rebuild. I didnt press the crankshaft myself.

Offline dave916

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 05:41:29 AM »
I actually took my crankshaft to a nearby Kawasaki dealer and shop and had them do the connecting rod and big end bearing rebuild. I didnt press the crankshaft myself.

I meant pressing it into the cases/ main bearings{i was looking at you bottom photo with the tusk tool }

Offline Polloloko80

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 09:05:59 AM »
To press the cases together i used the tusk crank puller and installer and that got my cases nicely together with not much effort. It was a great experience using these tools that ive never seen and then seeing how they work and actually get everything nicely fitted.

Offline dave916

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 10:53:56 AM »
To press the cases together i used the tusk crank puller and installer and that got my cases nicely together with not much effort. It was a great experience using these tools that ive never seen and then seeing how they work and actually get everything nicely fitted.

You should use a crank jig to stop the crank webs pressing together {would untrue the crank doing it like that}
If cases went nicely together with not much effort you probably got away with it
 Good luck with build