Author Topic: A few questions about tuning and mods  (Read 5782 times)

mxrider503

A few questions about tuning and mods
« on: June 17, 2005, 07:48:31 PM »
Hello to all. I recently purchased a fmf turnine core 2 silencer and added it to my fmf fatty pipe coupled with boyesen power reeds. Needless to say it is time to rejet. I was wondering if anybody knew of a complete jet kit that would work for my 96 kx250. I have heard of a DYNO JET kit.  Also my pipe is damaged and I cannot find a replacement fatty for it as i feel a sealed exhaust system would take one variable away from jetting. I was once told that the bike needs to be as perfect as possible before messing with jetting.  Will a 97 work?   Keep in mind my bike is overbored with higher compression. Also I simply bolted the new reeds on with the old rev plates. Should I use the ones that came in the kit? Also would a new rad valve make that much of a difference over my current stock one? Also there seems to be some kind of plastic triangular block in the rad valve. What does it do? DO i need? Will it increase performance and air flow if i remove it? I thank you in advance for your replies as I find your advice very useful. Thanks
-brian

JDRooster

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 12:28:06 AM »
Hello to all. I recently purchased a fmf turnine core 2 silencer and added it to my fmf fatty pipe coupled with boyesen power reeds. Needless to say it is time to rejet. I was wondering if anybody knew of a complete jet kit that would work for my 96 kx250.

Jetting for each individual situation is different. Although "jet kits" are available, the jetting for your bike will need to be tailored based on numerous different variables. The change in pipe is one, the engine mods are another, the new reeds can have an effect. If you add a rad valve, that will have an effect. The altitude of the area in which your riding, and other environmental variables will effect the jetting. What I'm trying to say is that there are no plug and play jettingsolutions. It's a trail and error, ride and adjust process. There are guides available on the internet to help you. Do a search on "spankys jetting guide" and you'll find a good reference.

Also would a new rad valve make that much of a difference over my current stock one? Also there seems to be some kind of plastic triangular block in the rad valve. What does it do? DO i need? Will it increase performance and air flow if i remove it? I thank you in advance for your replies as I find your advice very useful. Thanks

I had a RAD valve on another bike I owned and it made a huge difference across the powerband, and definitely increased the low end. If you use one, use the entire unit, all the parts. I can't describe in detail what each parts is designed to accomplish, but as a package it is a great performance add-on. You may also want to look at porting as an option for increased power and performance. There are lots of good companies out there who can hook you up. I use moto814 (www.moto814.com). I hope this helps.

mxrider503

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 01:38:03 AM »
thanks. I don't know if you noticed where im from but it doesn't get its name because it is boring :)
We are flat  and close to sea level i believe. BTW I put a br8es plug in my bike (which the service manual calls for but i never put in for fear of problems with fresh piston rings and an over bore. But the bike didn't foul a plug all day. It seems as though all the way up until 3/4 throttle runs rich which i belive is my main jet. But once that baby's opened up it s pretty sweet.  Do you know what that triangular block is ? can i take it out? or better yet does it have a power restriction factor? Also when i refer to a jet kit I meant more like a whole assortment of jets. I have 5 bikes and they are all kx 250's ranging from 89 to 99. And then the 82 kdx "chimney" 250. But it would be nice just to have a bunch of jets in case i do a mod or try to adjust another bike of the same flavor. But if anybody knows a part number please spit it out. thanks
-brian

mxrider503

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 07:22:08 AM »
Nobody knows of a jet assortment kit for my 96 kx250????

mxrider503

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 04:05:34 PM »
anybody. anybody at all?

Offline Arigato

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 04:38:05 PM »
No kits. But you can order jet from Sudco.  Just order 3-5 sizes below and 3-5 above stock.  Thats all your basic jet kit is.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 01:41:28 AM »
Quote from: Arigato
No kits. But you can order jet from Sudco.  Just order 3-5 sizes below and 3-5 above stock.  Thats all your basic jet kit is.

Yeah, and about $75.00 cheaper in price. Sudco rocks  8)

JDRooster

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 07:04:02 AM »
Sudco does rock..carbparts.com is a very good alternative as well. As mantioned before, 3 above and 3 below stock on the main and pilot, and you should be set.

mxrider503

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 05:43:09 PM »
sweet thanks guys!