Author Topic: how to i check the power valves  (Read 17982 times)

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: how to i check the power valves
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2015, 09:58:18 AM »
Yes I do.
I exchange parts for cash or K5 knowledge  8-)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 12:40:35 PM by sandblaster »
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2015, 10:58:00 PM »
i did the magnet test, and i think its a sleeve, it seems to have some wear on the wall, could this be fixed by a ligth hone?
KX 500 newbie

my bike: 1993 kx500

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2015, 06:39:07 AM »
got the parts in the mail today, so i tried assembeling the valves, but i havent got the timing rigth, both the short teeht's on the valves are int the marked groves on the valve rod, but one is open when the other is closed :?, and my clymer manual doesnt cover the timing on the 86-88 head   :|
KX 500 newbie

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2015, 05:45:13 AM »
tried timing the valves today, they're open at the same time but one closes more then the other  :?

closed

open
KX 500 newbie

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2016, 10:26:07 AM »
small update today, i put the cylinder back on and head with the new gaskets, i did have a little dum dum when i first put on the cylinder 1/4 way and realised that the bottom gasket was missing :roll: . then i installed all the new radiator hoses, so tommorrow i will try to put in the reed cage with the new boyesen dual stage reeds (should be innteresting to see how they work) and finally change the float needle in the carburetor wich i have been meaning to do for 6 months now, and maybe if things go well i'll be able to try and fire it up

-sorry me ingish
KX 500 newbie

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2016, 02:13:04 PM »
 8-)
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2016, 08:27:57 AM »
i got in the reed cage and set to change the float valve, i checked the float heigth with the new valve and old, the old was 11mm the new about 15-16mm, then i filled up the coolant and noticed a leak from the water pump cover(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl3euCXhpaQ) and the kill switch stopped working (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl3euCXhpaQ) BUT the engine started second kick and the valves open and close, it's probably running rich thouhg so i still have some work to do :roll:
KX 500 newbie

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2016, 05:39:15 AM »
here is the proof, thanks for the help guys! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkfjSO_1Yhw
KX 500 newbie

Offline dave916

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2016, 06:43:50 AM »
tried timing the valves today, they're open at the same time but one closes more then the other  :?

closed

open

You need to fix the over closing kipps valves , that the reason they are wrong on the closed position

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2016, 06:51:11 AM »

closed

open

You need to fix the over closing kipps valves , that the reason they are wrong on the closed position
how do you suggest i do that? i dont think i can just put them in a diffrent grove on the valve rod
KX 500 newbie

Offline dave916

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2016, 09:17:31 AM »
There are Two ways to do it,
First way can be done at any time by simply fitting a 4/5mm bearing inside the allen head bolt shown here http://www.hallbergs.net/kx500/images/picture11.jpg

Second way only can be done with the topend removed {the way i do it}
This way  i put the kipps valves  on differant grove on the valve rod/ but modify the stop on rod
This way has the advantage It will keep the kipps rod in original position /angle

The black ARROW point to the way i modify the stop with a 5mm width nut

valves in closed position

i later modified this valve for better flow but this is correct position for stock valve

Not great flow from pre89 valves in closed position that why i modify one
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 09:23:29 AM by dave916 »

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2016, 10:36:41 AM »
There are Two ways to do it,
First way can be done at any time by simply fitting a 4/5mm bearing inside the allen head bolt shown here http://www.hallbergs.net/kx500/images/picture11.jpg

Second way only can be done with the topend removed {the way i do it}
This way  i put the kipps valves  on differant grove on the valve rod/ but modify the stop on rod
This way has the advantage It will keep the kipps rod in original position /angle

The black ARROW point to the way i modify the stop with a 5mm width nut
thats a cool mod 8-)

valves in closed position

i later modified this valve for better flow but this is correct position for stock valve

Not great flow from pre89 valves in closed position that why i modify one
KX 500 newbie