Author Topic: 89 500 Update  (Read 5239 times)

Offline grunthum

89 500 Update
« on: August 29, 2015, 02:06:38 AM »
Hey Foxx,

Last time I posted I was getting this 89 race ready. Since then I raced it for the first time and most everything went well. It was a 1.5 mile track with 8" of loam everywhere almost like coffee grounds. Perfect for this bike! First thing I noticed after practice was the front end liked to plow in the corners. I raised the forks in the trees 3/4" and this made a very noticeable difference in turning, not a carver but pretty neutral and much better. When setting up the bike I had shortened up the wheel base as much as possible when I installed the new chain and am running new Dunlops so I think I have the turning about as good as I can get it. One thing I haven't done yet is set the sag. I'll set sag and see if that helps any.
Power is awesome and pulled the holeshot in first moto. My buddy who is faster than me (we ride the expert class) and a holeshot artist was lined up next to me on his pristine 86 KX 500, ate a little roost till he got around me.
One point of concern is I was getting just a little detonation every once in a while. New PWK 39, 165 main, 55 pilot, needle set in 3rd clip airscrew 1.5 turns out. Altitude 1500ft and about 90 degrees temp. Ran a B9ES plug, color on plug is medium to dark brown so prob. just a tad rich but don't want to jet too lean. Also have not been able to get it to idle, but starts easy with 5 prime kicks when cold. I'm thinking of testing  with different fuels to see if that helps. Let me know what you think. Thanks Grant   

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: 89 500 Update
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 02:22:46 AM »
Cool, sounds like you had a fun time!
Be careful with that 165 main...if you do any extended periods of WOT, it won't like it at all...a 168 would be safer.
I was running a 25% mix of VP-C12 and 75% 93 pump fuel with no pinging, and this should suit you just fine as well. I've recently switched to 100% VP-C12 because of the E-10 in our pump fuels around here gave me some problems.

Which needle are you running?...I myself would throw a 170main in, and put the clip in the 2nd from top...you should notice a nice difference in throttle response.

Getting the sag set will make huge improvements....but don't be surprised if you have to change a lot of your settings once you set it....I say this because, setting the sag is the very 1st thing you want to do before making any adjustments....having a buddy to help is very handy as well.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline grunthum

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 02:55:00 AM »
Yep you're right, I know better. I meant to set the sag but didn't remember I hadn't set it till I wrote this post. I'll change the jetting and try your fuel specs till I get it right. Really appreciate your suggestions and your craigslist updates are one of my favorites. Once I figure out this picture thing I'll post some. Thanks Grant

Offline grunthum

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 03:07:31 AM »
The needle is a 48 DGH??? Does that sound right? 

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 04:15:19 AM »
The needle is a 48 DGH??? Does that sound right?  

yeah, that's one of the "new" Keihin needles...
see if you can locate an N82M or N82N....those are the richer needles that most of the K5's came stock with, and would be good with the clip in the 2nd from top, at your elevation. I run an N82T, which is a leaner needle, but I'm running at 150'-200' above sea level.
I see Rocky Mountain ATV has an N82P listed under the 2004's K5 carb list...that would be good also.    
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 04:24:19 AM »
I sent you a PM also.

Offline grunthum

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 04:38:30 AM »
Thanks Foxx,

If I change to an N82 needle will I need to change out the nozzle too or will the N82 seat in the current one?

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 04:46:30 AM »
Thanks Foxx,

If I change to an N82 needle will I need to change out the nozzle too or will the N82 seat in the current one?

it'll be all set...no worries

Offline grunthum

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 04:52:13 AM »
Thanks Foxx,

I have the original carb which was very low usage I can prob. swap out the brass. Thanks for your help

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 04:53:05 AM »
Thanks Foxx,

I have the original carb which was very low usage I can prob. swap out the brass. Thanks for your help

yup, everything should transfer right over with no troubles.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 10:10:20 AM »
grunthums ride...
I like the graphics and seat cover...