Author Topic: Hi my name is EZ-RIder and I like castor oil  (Read 5219 times)

EZ-Rider

Hi my name is EZ-RIder and I like castor oil
« on: January 29, 2003, 06:00:50 AM »
Where to start.......  Well I hadn't rode in about 12 years but in '01 I decided I was ready to get back on and started riding a dual sport. That didn't fit the bill so I decided I wanted a true dirt bike. I'm 6'2 250 and knew I wanted some power so I looked and looked and ended up buying a kx250 bored to 310cc the engine was built by Eric Gorr and let me tell you it is incredible tons of power everywhere and will power wheely in 4th when fresh with me on it, the bike itself fits me well and handles like a dream. But I usually ride trails with some suprises and I wanted a bike that I could leave in one gear for the longer rides, and still have hill climbing & wheely power for the surprises without killing the clutch. The fact that I had lost a couple of dragraces to a YZ426 helped to fuel the fire for more power so after some reasearch I got a cr 500 because it was supposed to be more woods friendly than the KX500.  I didn't like it much it wasn't as smootjh as the kx and the handling didn't suit me. So I got an xr 650L to set up as 95% dirt. The bike is a pig a very very heavy bike that was horrible for me and other than top end couldn't beat my little 310 anywhere. So I have now decided to ignore what I've read and I'm getting a kx 500 this weekend. I hope that the powervalve will help to smooth the delivery out over what the cr had, and I hope that the bike feels close to my current KX for woods riding. I plan on asking lots of questions from people here that have experience so that I end up keeping it. With the exceptiom of a KTM 520 I dont see me ever buying another 4 stroke so if my 310 isn't giving me the grunt I want and since I don't like the honda's that much, I really hope the kx500 works out.  I ride atleast 2 times a week so having a bike that I'm comfortable on is very important to me. I have a couple other kawasakis (street) in addition to the 310 so maybe the 500 will work out. I dunno but I will find out this weekend  8)

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2003, 06:13:22 AM »
I had a 2000 CR500 and couldn't stand the power delivery. The best day was when they stole it from me. I have a 2001 KX500 and ride singletrack thoughout Arizona and have yet to find a place the big KX doesn't handle well.

The suspension is garbage, but if you fix that (spring and re-valve) and grab a Scott's damper you'll quickly fall in love with the beast. :lol:

EZ-Rider

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2003, 06:23:58 AM »
I noticed on the other board that you said that castor oil really gummed your bike up. I've had my 310 down twice for new top ends (60hrs. & 80hrs.) and haven't noticed this. I run vp c12 or c16 with castor or if I'm out of it I run mobil mx2t because I can run right up to the autozone and get some.  Will the 500 have a problem with the castor? And how long before topends for play and trail type riding? I would imagine atleast 100 hrs or so.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2003, 06:40:25 AM »
The Maxima Castor927 did gum up my rings and powervalves. As far as when to slap a top end in, I follow the compression tester for that.

Service limits are:

upper: 165psi
lower:  110psi

Mine has a couple wide open desert races ( over a hundred miles at a shot), and alot of trail and play riding and it is hold 140 psi. If I had to guess I would say I have well over 100 hours on this topend. Ever since I started following the service limits and using my compression tester I spend ALOT less money on topends.