Author Topic: Mint 02 500 Setting up for moto!  (Read 24274 times)

Offline edgar_kx3

Mint 02 500 Setting up for moto!
« on: June 08, 2015, 12:28:40 PM »
Here is my 02 I bought a few months ago. Found on craigslist for 2600 bucks, so I left work early and went after it.

Here it is the first day I brought it home and gave it a good wash, I threw the front fender and number plate on it but it was all original! Well except someone had to put a seat cover on it, wish they woulda left it alone!

Few weeks later after some parts came in and done some paint stripping on the swingarm and silencer (FMF silencer is still on back order so had to freshen up the stocker). Put some Race Tech springs on it too. Gonna see how this desert pipe fairs out, figured a 500 has enough bottom for moto. maybe this will let it rev a little better.
Front master and brakeline was stripped off a newer kawi 250F. And some IMS pegs so I can stay on this thing!

Last week I finally picked up a 89 KX250 tank on Ebay for 50 Bucks!, after 2 days of sanding and buffing it turn out pretty dang slick! And now the graphics going on, still needing to order green side panels. Also new shrouds wanting to save all the OEM plastic. Also got my gpr stuff in so I could put my fat bars on.

Here is whats left that will go on when the rest of the plastics get here!

Is just about ready to take racing, I have had it on the track twice so far. gonna get a fresh set of 403 and 404 bridgestones on it and that should be about it!

Sorry for the long post.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 12:30:59 PM by edgar_kx3 »

Offline edgar_kx3

Re: Mint 02 500 Setting up for moto!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 01:36:41 PM »
What about some ideas on gearing? I put a 14 48 on it, but it is a little slow off bottom. guess that's from the desert pipe. Would going to a 50 rear be too much? its like 2nd is too low and short and 3rd is barley to high and bogs but can be lit very easy if you use the clutch. Want good roll on straight into power out of turn then shift after the exit and rip. Im running 3rd in turns now and going to 4th for bout everything else.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 01:19:30 AM »
Leave the gearing stock for moto. I "tried" MX'ing my 500 years ago and not to pee on your parade but the K5 with it's mid 80's chassis technology simply doesn't fit out on the MX track. For just "pay to play" type track day MX'ing go for it it's a blast, HOWEVER be forwarned that 50+hp eventually starts to beat you down, so take my advice when you get tired immediately STOP and take a break.. I found out that if you gear the K5 lower all's it does is make the bike harder to ride especially in tighter hardpack corners. My tip is to try and lug the engine around the track and you actually end up going faster. I also have a FWW and a steering dampener that also helped me get around the track smoother and with less fatigue. Good luck !  
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline MRDART

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 02:15:23 AM »
I would also leave it stock for most tracks, never gear it down, for fast tracks maybe gear up on the rear sprocket (maybe one or two koggs less), the bike is lightingfast on the straights, turns descent to mediokre, depending on the rider... Jumps fairly good, but the chassie was basically obsolete 20 years ago, stiffer springs and new valves would make it better...
 But the best mod you can make ( on any japanese mxbike ) is a bigger frontbrake disc, that will cut laptimes and reduce your fatigue :-)
 If you can ride the bike properly you will however be able to keep up with a lot of weekend warriors...
I raced the kx500 between 1993 and 1997 with fairly good results, weighed 80 lbs less at the time though :-(

Offline edgar_kx3

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 10:57:46 AM »
Ah its just to take out and rip every now and then, for sure not my only machine! Riding it is not the problem I got that part under control. just looking for a good base to start, figured someone might knew what the pros back in the day raced with as far as setup.

here is a short video of me going slow as hell on this thing, trying to get used to it. I did have the needle clip to rich in this video and it was a little blubbery in the mid throttle. Im running 3rd in every turn and 4th in the straights. wonder what it would do if I just put a 13 on the front? might be able to run 2nd and 3rd then?

https://youtu.be/fz9JFm7mNM8

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 11:02:46 AM »
awsome and mint build! i will definatly get a 89 kx 250 tank! but where did you buy the graphics? and how did you fit the front numberplate?
KX 500 newbie

my bike: 1993 kx500

Offline edgar_kx3

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 11:42:47 AM »
awsome and mint build! i will definatly get a 89 kx 250 tank! but where did you buy the graphics? and how did you fit the front numberplate?

Made a nice little L bracket to mount it at the top, and you have to use a Cycra number plate so it can just zip tie around the forks. The place is called Mad Cow Designs its a local graphics company to me here in KY. they have a web site. http://www.madcowmoto.com/mxbikes.html

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 12:20:40 PM »

Made a nice little L bracket to mount it at the top, and you have to use a Cycra number plate so it can just zip tie around the forks. The place is called Mad Cow Designs its a local graphics company to me here in KY. they have a web site. http://www.madcowmoto.com/mxbikes.html

thank you!
KX 500 newbie

my bike: 1993 kx500

Offline edgar_kx3

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 11:18:03 AM »
Here is another video of it at another track, still not doing the greatest on it but d**n its fun!! did have some detonation cause of crap pump gas.

https://youtu.be/oJUj69bHujo

Here is a vid of a friends little practice track, Im ripping my 450 in it though.

https://youtu.be/h46PhMlKQxg

Offline edgar_kx3

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 12:11:07 AM »
Got to ride the 500 a little sunday, i tried riding it in a lower gear and let it rev some instead of in my other videos where i was lugging it more. Really need to get a revalve or something this thing beats my guts out!!

https://youtu.be/owXN8ecuvrM

Offline edgar_kx3

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 04:19:46 AM »
got a set of 08 KX250F forks, called emig racing and got the stem for it. Gonna run 2014 KX250F triple clamps, they have 22.5mm offset which is pretty close to the original 500 offset. Now to get a set of fork springs and should be ready to try. Will get some pictures when I go together. May try the 132.5mm dog bones next going to see what it does first.

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 08:57:10 AM »
Really nice bike! Very cool!
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline edgar_kx3

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 11:02:13 AM »
Here is the final look for now! Hope to get the fork conversion done in the upcoming week.

Offline edgar_kx3

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 01:27:22 PM »
KX250F forks installed tonight! Now to get a black back wheel to match.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 03:26:10 PM »
Besides what all has been mentioned... get some dog bones from Emig.
It will help your turning on the mx track.
And get your suspension dialed in..... Nothing else will make you faster.
Then get your head cut and double check your jetting to help with bad fuel.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.