Author Topic: E10 got me  (Read 9607 times)

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
E10 got me
« on: June 01, 2015, 05:11:26 AM »
So I figured I'd go for a rip this morning, since we finally got some rain yesterday and over night. I haven't ridden in 3 weeks because it's been so dry for the past 6 weeks.
I pulled it out put it on the stand, then mixed up a fresh gal of C-12/93 pump and the usual capful of StarTron.
Ok, ready to fire it off....gas on, choke on...4 quarter kicks for priming...and then one good full kick and it fires off...but not this time! :?
Ok, no biggie...it's been sitting for 3 weeks...give it another full kick...nothing...one more...nothing.
So I know something's wrong since this thing's NEVER not started on the first kick...so I grab a clear drinking glass from the kitchen, pull the fuel line from the carb and let some fuel flow into the glass...hmmm...looks like purified water! :?
Then I unscrew the drain plug on the bottom of the carb....more purified water :x
That's what I get for leaving a 1/4 tank of old fuel in the tank, even though I've gone as long as 5 weeks with no problems on a number of occasions with StarTron added.
So off with the tank and dump it out...I can see it's all cloudy as I'm pouring it out.
Then off with the carb, and pull all the jets...which actually were ok, but cleaned everything real good any ways since I had it apart.
Put it all back together, mixed up another fresh gal of C-12/93 pump...gave it two priming kicks, and bang...lit right off.
So now I'm really starting to consider either running straight race fuel now(not that "that's" a fool-proof way of going about it either)...I'll have to buy it by the 55gal drum to make it economical financially...OR, remember to dump out what's left in the tank after a week and use it in my truck and yard equipment for now on.
This is the 1st time I've ever had an issue since Massachusetts started using E10 in '05...and it will be the last. I consider myself lucky, knowing there's a lot of guys that have blown/seized motors from jets getting clogged and the fuel/moisture separating, and running lean from E10.  
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 05:24:11 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Motorrad

Re: E10 got me
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 05:51:00 AM »
I lost a fresh bultaco motor due to that crap.  Rusted bore and rusted up crank bearings.....

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 06:28:32 AM »
ugh...I don't even wanna think about that...
I'm assuming you don't still use it?...are you using different fuel(s) now?
I've heard of marina's carrying non E10 fuel, not sure how much truth there is to that, since I've never had to look into it and find out...I may have to take a ride down to the town wharf.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 07:09:50 AM »
PureGas.com tonfind all the non ethanol stations in your area. Most marina's are carrying it. I lucked out as there is a station with 92 non a half mile from my house.
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 07:25:49 AM »
PureGas.com tonfind all the non ethanol stations in your area. Most marina's are carrying it. I lucked out as there is a station with 92 non a half mile from my house.

thanks Brute...this might be a different one than you mentioned, this one's .org not .com...

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MA

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 08:26:09 AM »
Oops. Yes, that is it... Should have stopped at 'PureGas'!  :lol:
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline MRDART

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 09:30:25 AM »
In Sweden they sell something called alkylat petrol, can't find a translation for it, but it is good for the enviroment and is free from alcohol, they sell  3 versions
4-stroke ( for your briggs and stratton)
2-stroke (premix for your chainsaws etc)
 And race :-) 102 octane unmixed, but works nice with some 2-stroke oil.... I'll probably go for that fuel, it is also not as sensitive when it comes to storage... 
 All gas stations over here sell the etanol mixed s**t now...

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 01:48:54 PM »
Foxx,

I HATE that $H1T! Installed a set of OEM Yamaha Needle & seats in my RZ350 & in less than a months time it had eaten them up & it takes me about 4 hours to do that job. All of my vehicles mileage is down 20% using that crap...if I have to use 20% more fuel using E10 to drive the same distance, am I helping or hurting the environment more? I will save everyone here from my ranting, but I could type 20 pages about this nasty stuff.

I know here & almost all marinas sell the Good Stuff. Another source you might try is a local airport for some 100LL, it keeps good for quite a while & i use it in ALL my lawn tools, they start immediately with it & keep over the winter. I also will buy the pure gas from a distributor that sells to the marinas but he is 60 miles away. Long discussion with him about the cost difference between the two, & pure gas was actually $.01 cheaper / gallon.

A word of advice on the Pure Gas site, call the location first to confirm they have straight gas before traveling...ask me how I know... :-P
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 07:59:05 PM »
Foxx,

A word of advice on the Pure Gas site, call the location first to confirm they have straight gas before traveling...ask me how I know... :-P

haha....yeah I've already called the closest place listed, which is 18 miles away, and they do sell non E10, and they have Sunoco 110, 112, and 116 in 5gal, 16gal, and 55gal drums.
I'm gonna take a swing by the town wharf next to Plymouth Rock and the Mayflower this morning and see if I can get some there...that's only 2 miles away.

Offline grunthum

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 10:26:24 PM »
Know how you feel Foxx, I have 25 bikes to look after so it really becomes a chore. I got tired of cleaning carbs so I drain them if they are going to sit for a while. Race bikes get the 100LL from the airport which sells for $5.75 a gallon in these neck of the woods.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 12:58:25 AM »
Know how you feel Foxx, I have 25 bikes to look after so it really becomes a chore. I got tired of cleaning carbs so I drain them if they are going to sit for a while. Race bikes get the 100LL from the airport which sells for $5.75 a gallon in these neck of the woods.

yeah the airport is another option, I'm 5mins away from that.
I think I'm gonna go with the guys I spoke with yesterday that're 18 miles away...because they'll deliver right to my front door :wink:

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 10:54:44 PM »
E10 + Startron = no issues.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 08:13:42 AM »
E10 + Startron = no issues.

unfortunately I no longer believe that...since Startron was in the tank already....
I've been using it for close to 4 years with good results....but one "strike" is too many for me to continue using it.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2015, 10:55:21 PM »
 Sorry Fox for your situation, Startron has never let me down in the past 8 years, this is NO judgement on you , but one of the aspects of off season fuel treatment that in the past was causing me issues was "did I, or did I not" add fuel stabilizer at the end of last season ?? I have  11 "seasonal"  engines that I need to treat at different times during the year  and keeping track was a royal pia. Now I write down on a piece of duct tape the date, and a note that yes in fact this fuel treated with Startron and Drygas. I tape the note right to the fuel cap, done!
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2015, 08:21:41 AM »
yeah, I add a cap full to every gallon, directions on the bottle are 1oz to every 6gals...and it failed.
I stopped by and asked the guy at my local gas station when they typically get fuel deliveries...he said Monday mornings.
The last time I got my fuel there was a Sunday morning...so it's pretty self explanatory what the cause was....so I'm going full race fuel for now on to eliminate that from ever happening again.