Author Topic: Did I Blow My Top End or Bottom End?  (Read 16516 times)

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: Did I Blow My Top End or Bottom End?
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2015, 07:14:55 AM »
if you plan on re-using that piston...you better look it over REAL good...cause there's no way you didn't put some kind of a nick/ding in it when it was slapping the cases like that!
get a "fine" file and smooth out the ridges it made....or you will destroy that cylinder as well.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline MXonaKawi

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2015, 07:37:24 AM »
if you plan on re-using that piston...you better look it over REAL good...cause there's no way you didn't put some kind of a nick/ding in it when it was slapping the cases like that!
get a "fine" file and smooth out the ridges it made....or you will destroy that cylinder as well.

Yea the whole top end is going to get replaced...and I'm a moron lol

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2015, 10:08:00 AM »
Yea the whole top end is going to get replaced...and I'm a moron lol

eh...you're better off going all new...again.
live and learn.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline MXonaKawi

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2015, 02:53:59 PM »
Ok I've ordered the entire crank assembly OEM. I also ordered gaskets for the entire engine. I'm going to throw another Wiseco piston in there. Now I just need to know which bearings to buy and as for seals...

Do you guys think this will cover me as far as seals go for the entire job?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261460130300?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Motorrad

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2015, 03:59:06 PM »
Cometic for gask and otters

Offline KevinTwoStk

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2015, 07:25:35 PM »
Shoot! Sorry to see the damage.

You might consider Inside Line Moto in Orange to do the rebuild. They're an independent shop and can likely do the job for less than the Kawi dealer charges. I don't have any experience with them. I know about them because they advertise in the AMA District 37 newsletter.

Good call on getting an OEM replacement crank.

The seal kit looks as if it's complete.

Yes, you should consider replacing the transmission shaft bearings, especially the output shaft bearing.

I used a Cometic top-end gasket kit last time I replaced my piston...so far so good, and I would use that kit again.

Offline MXonaKawi

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2015, 08:40:10 AM »
Shoot! Sorry to see the damage.

You might consider Inside Line Moto in Orange to do the rebuild. They're an independent shop and can likely do the job for less than the Kawi dealer charges. I don't have any experience with them. I know about them because they advertise in the AMA District 37 newsletter.

Good call on getting an OEM replacement crank.

The seal kit looks as if it's complete.

Yes, you should consider replacing the transmission shaft bearings, especially the output shaft bearing.

I used a Cometic top-end gasket kit last time I replaced my piston...so far so good, and I would use that kit again.

Thanks Kevin! It's understandable, because the bottom end was the only thing I didn't completely replace besides the stock suspension on my rebuild.
But it's time and I plan on doing it now. I'll check out that place for pricing on the labor. Thanks for the heads up.

Can anyone point out the part # for the transmission shaft bearing and output shaft bearing to me? They are just listed as bearings on the diagram and I don't know my way around the bottom end.

Hopefully I'll see you out at Milestone soon! I'm planning on having this done asap and being out on the track again in 2-3 weeks.

Offline KevinTwoStk

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2015, 08:13:21 PM »
I've got a few things to fix on my bike, too! Sounds like we'll both be ready for the track about the same time.

Offline MXonaKawi

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2015, 07:45:02 AM »
See you back out there soon Kevin!

Question: How often should a clutch be changed on a two stroke? That's one of the other only things I haven't replaced and figured I may as well inquire about it while I'm having the bottom end done. I see there are clutch kits that come with the plates and springs for under $100 to just over $100. Then there are also some that include the clutch basket. These are all over $300. Is it necessary to occasionally change the clutch plates and springs? If so, how often should the basket be changed, if at all?

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2015, 08:13:30 AM »
a clutch/tranny can last a long time providing you use a good oil, and you change it frequently.

typically if it starts slipping while under acceleration...meaning if it revs to the moon if you're in 3rd, 4th or whatever gear, and you're only going 5mph with no pull from the motor...then it's slipping, and it's time to inspect, or replace the plates. .
Pay attention to how much/little adjustment you have in the cable at the lever.
I just use OEM plates...but most of the top brand aftermarket ones will work fine.
You can get different springs with heavier or softer "pulls".
If the fingers on the basket are really grooved bad from the plates....you could file them smooth to get a little more life out of it...but a new basket would be in the near future.

Offline MXonaKawi

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2015, 09:06:48 AM »
a clutch/tranny can last a long time providing you use a good oil, and you change it frequently.

typically if it starts slipping while under acceleration...meaning if it revs to the moon if you're in 3rd, 4th or whatever gear, and you're only going 5mph with no pull from the motor...then it's slipping, and it's time to inspect, or replace the plates. .
Pay attention to how much/little adjustment you have in the cable at the lever.
I just use OEM plates...but most of the top brand aftermarket ones will work fine.
You can get different springs with heavier or softer "pulls".
If the fingers on the basket are really grooved bad from the plates....you could file them smooth to get a little more life out of it...but a new basket would be in the near future.

Thanks for all this great info! I have no reason to believe the clutch needs replacing other than the fact that the bike was in poor condition when I bought it. But the clutch feels great to me while riding. I haven't had any indication that it's slipping or over-revving. With that said, a visual inspection wouldn't hurt. That's what I'll probably do now to just have an idea of what it looks like in there.

Offline b4himdude

• You gotta love to tinker
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2015, 05:38:17 PM »
my thoughts are if you want to have confidence while youre on the throttle take the time necessary to do the job correctly as you CAN afford it. nothing sucks worse than knowing you should have or you would have as you stand there with your hands on your hips helmet on knowing why youll be pushing your bike. the only time you to cut corners on a bike is when youre riding it. never while youre working on it. just my thoughts....
hell ,i,m so broke . if it cost a nickle to take a s**t, id have to puke.....