Author Topic: reed flutter?  (Read 9007 times)

Offline bansheedave

reed flutter?
« on: May 20, 2015, 01:54:07 PM »
I am running v force 3 reeds in my 94 kx250. what I thought was a slipping clutch may be the reeds. I just want your opinions. what is going on is at high rpm, just before I need to shift into another gear or topping out in full top gear, the motor keeps pulling than all of a sudden it will just go high rev till either I shift or slow down for a split second and slowly roll on the gas again. the reeds show signs of wear on the tips but the aren't broken or splitting.

Offline bansheedave

Re: reed flutter?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 02:02:29 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0M_ZJfMnug

fast forward to 1:56 and you'll hear it

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 03:13:55 PM »
Wow! Sounds like it is really leaning out on the top.
Reed pedals are cheap, replace them.
Then, with the airbox exposed, start it up and rev the motor.
Can you feel air blowing back through the filter?
If not that's good.
Make sure your throttle and kill switch are working properly  :evil:
Take it for a ride and see what happens.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline bansheedave

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 03:33:21 PM »
I will get new reeds when I can. So do you think I could be ducking the bowl dry?
My jetting is 42 pilot, 170 main, needle set at 3rd from the top and also did a compression test and that's sitting at 235 psi

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 05:30:40 PM »
Of course that's possible but I'm not really sure.
Before you do anything, do the hand over the air box thing and let us know.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 12:36:14 AM »
That definitely sounded like a Clutch to me...
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 07:01:45 AM »
Yeah, I forgot to ask, when your in top gear like that and the engine does a quick wind up, is it trying to pull you faster as it normally does or is there very little acceleration?
If there is little acceleration, then DoldGuy has the right answer...

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 08:11:55 AM »
if it's not the clutch, start looking for remnants of busted up snap rings in the bottom end/tranny.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline bansheedave

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 08:32:44 AM »
if it's not the clutch, start looking for remnants of busted up snap rings in the bottom end/tranny.
brand new bottom end and all new snap rings, bearings and a couple gears.

Offline bansheedave

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 08:33:59 AM »
Haven't started it yet today. Been to busy with other things so nothing to post today.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 08:50:15 AM »
brand new bottom end and all new snap rings, bearings and a couple gears.

that means nothing...they can break at any time.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 09:00:00 AM »
Dave,

After listening to it multiple times, the bike sounds like its unloading to a lower gear, which obviously would spike the RPMs. What gear were you in when this happened? I had a 95 KX250 & the Gear Dogs were rounded, shifted fine & would only do this when it had a big load on it as your video shows.
Next Ride, pay close attention to what gear you are in, and when it happens back off to mid throttle & shift to the next gear until run out of gears, to see if it actually is jumping down a gear.

DoldGuy
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 09:10:35 AM by DoldGuy »
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 09:02:24 AM »
After listening to it multiple times, the bike sounds like it unloading to a lower gear, which obviously would spike the RPMs.

that's what I believe it is...as I know that sound all too well and all too recent.

Offline queen of spodes

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 04:12:46 PM »
It sounds transmission-y to me as well.

Offline bansheedave

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 02:43:27 AM »
the gear dogs did have wear on them when I rebuilt the motor and trans. the shift fork pins were also below minimum specs. I couldn't find new replacement forks because they are discontinued and buying a crap ton of shift forks to find good used ones in spec didn't seem to be cost effective. I am not sure when I'll be able to ride it again. I know in august will be my next chance. where would I find gears and forks if it is indeed the trans dropping out of gear? and if I have to tear it back down, I will be sending my spare 300 big bore out to get repaired.