Author Topic: '99 KX250 Rehab (Budget Rebuild)  (Read 79734 times)

Offline ecdeyzel

Re: '99 KX250 Rehab (Budget Rebuild)
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2015, 08:29:44 PM »
Awesome! So glad that's sorted. Now just hoping the shipping and delivery goes smooth.
2007 Suzuki DR650SE
1999 Kawasaki KX250 (Rebuild in Progress)

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2015, 01:25:37 AM »
Hey guys, hope everybody had a great Easter weekend.

I can get my forks serviced pretty soon and need some advice on fork oil viscosity. I can't afford to get the right springs put in the forks for my weight right now, but thought I can at least put the right viscosity oil in, will it help? I weigh just over 100 kg or roughly 220 lbs, what oil should I go with? :?
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2015, 12:37:21 AM »
Hey guys, a little status update since I have been out of action for a while...

I received my main jet needle I ordered in the mail today. So happy about that. So I will run it in middle position as you suggested, Fox. I also received the float bowl gasket and pilot air screw o-ring a while ago, so the carb is complete and ready to go back on the bike.

I have sent my frame, sub-frame and swingarm in for powder coating about 3 weeks ago which should be done soon, hopefully, then the rebuild can officially start.

Ed
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 05:40:49 PM by ecdeyzel »
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline alward25

« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2015, 05:10:36 AM »
10wt on the suspension.  Open chamber forks like it a little better.
"Let there be light"

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2015, 08:16:40 AM »
So I will run it in middle position as you suggested, Fox. I also received the float bowl gasket and pilot air screw o-ring a while ago, so the carb is complete and ready to go back on the bike.

I have sent my frame, sub-frame and swingarm in for powder coating about 3 weeks ago which should be done soon, hopefully, then the rebuild can officially start.

Ed

awesome Ed... yes, put the clip in the middle to start...then once you get it up and running for a day or two, then you can worry about dialing in the jetting more precisely.
can't wait to see your frame all done...what color did you go with? 
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2015, 08:09:04 PM »
10wt on the suspension.  Open chamber forks like it a little better.

Awesome, will get the 10W then, thanks alward25!
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2015, 09:45:57 PM »
So I will run it in middle position as you suggested, Fox. I also received the float bowl gasket and pilot air screw o-ring a while ago, so the carb is complete and ready to go back on the bike.

Ed

awesome Ed... yes, put the clip in the middle to start...then once you get it up and running for a day or two, then you can worry about dialing in the jetting more precisely.
can't wait to see your frame all done...what color did you go with? 

Hey Fox, yea, I put the clip in the middle position last night and reassembled the carb. So now it's ready to rock and roll. I also turned the pilot air screw out 1 1/2 as the service manual said. We can see how it runs when the bike is done and then fine tune it like you suggested.

For the frame and subframe I have gone with a gunmetal grey colour and stock silver for the swing arm. I've also asked them to recoat the foot pegs (swingarm silver) and exhaust brackets my dad made me (frame gunmetal). I am sure it will look awesome when it's done. I can't wait to see it either.
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2015, 08:24:21 AM »
nice...that should look good.
you gonna keep the green and white plastics?
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2015, 08:27:46 PM »
nice...that should look good.
you gonna keep the green and white plastics?

Yea, will stick with green and white plastics, but going with black fork guards. Before I got the bike I had some time to design graphics and a mock-up of what I'd like the bike to look like. I have managed to organise a small sponsor for decals with Camelbak, hence the Camelbak logo, which I think looks great and goes well with the bike. The gunmetal grey frame really makes it feel fresh and a bit more updated without changing a whole lot.

Original photo

My changes

When I get around to refoaming and covering the seat, I'll love to even out the shape of the seat a bit. Not a fan of that super thin design.

What do you guys think?

« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 05:46:02 PM by ecdeyzel »
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2015, 08:31:14 PM »
I like it!

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2015, 11:13:40 PM »
Hi guys! So I finally got my frame, subframe, swingarm, foot pegs and exhaust brackets back from powder coating and I am very happy with the job overall and got it done at a great price.

I thought the silver of the swingarm will be a bit more of a bright silver than a grey silver, but not a train smash. And they didn't do the best job of masking off all the bearing spots, so I will just take some fine sandpaper and smooth that out before installing any bearings. But d**n, that gun metal grey is spot on. Exactly what I wanted. I can't wait to start putting everything back together!

Ed
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 06:37:17 AM by ecdeyzel »
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2015, 08:14:21 AM »
Sweet Ed!!...I like it.
get that baby back together so I can determine if I want to go the same color.

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2015, 03:14:25 PM »
That looks really nice, gun metal rocks. Walmart sells a blue 1" firm camp pad that might help build your seat up to where you want it without buying all new foam.
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2015, 06:53:42 PM »
Thanks guys. I'm very stoked on the gun metal, it looks great. A big problem I came across last night is they didn't mask off the bold holes for the rear brake line, chain slider and the plates that go on the inside of the swing arm where the axle goes through. :x I struggled for ages trying to get the bols in but they just wont go in. Also as I mentioned in my previous post, they didn't do a great job of masking the bearing areas either, but not as bad as the bold holes though. I am pretty irritated about that, especially after asking them twice to make sure it is all masked off well.

Anyway, should I just tap the bold holes and sand the bearing areas? I've read up about thread chasers last night, but not sure I will be able to get a hold of that so easy. Is there any advice you guys can give me from similar experiences?

Hey 81cr450, thanks for the advice. We don't have Walmarts here in SA though, and I also think all of the foam need to be replaced since it hasn't been replaced since 99 and it's about as thin as a as a sponge. I got a quote from a guy to do foam and recover for a good price here. Will give him a try when I get to the seat.
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2015, 07:19:36 PM »
I am faced with another issue, this time on my front rim. It has a crack on both sides in the same spot, but doesn't run all the way through.

I spoke to a guy at my local shop who I buy stuff from, who also rides, and he says I can get it welded, strong weld instead of pretty weld, and it should hold up. But he can also offer me a new rim and spokes for R2000 / $168,29, but will set me back a lot with the bike build.

As this is a safety concern for me I am almost leaning more towards the side of spending the money to have a piece of mind when I ride, but if you guys think the weld will hold up well for a long time, I will prefer to go with that.

Any thoughts on that?

« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 06:42:11 AM by ecdeyzel »
2007 Suzuki DR650SE