Author Topic: '99 KX250 Rehab (Budget Rebuild)  (Read 79775 times)

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: '99 KX250 Rehab (Budget Rebuild)
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 03:00:15 AM »
I have heard some guys can hear when it needs to be turned. That sort of thing is out of my knowledge league at the moment.  :?

Jetting has always been my favorite/most fun thing about dirt bikes, I spend a lot of time getting mine as close to the line of being too lean, and just right all the time.
And yes, you can tell by the way a motor sounds, and also by the "feel"...i.e...sluggish....you can also tell if a motor is running excessively rich by the amount of black spooge at the end of your silencer and the silencer/pipe connections....also by how hot it's running...hotter typically equals too lean.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2015, 03:10:54 AM »
I may have that needle if you can't get it.
I'll take a look
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2015, 03:19:38 AM »
I have heard some guys can hear when it needs to be turned. That sort of thing is out of my knowledge league at the moment.  :?

Jetting has always been my favorite/most fun thing about dirt bikes, I spend a lot of time getting mine as close to the line of being too lean, and just right all the time.
And yes, you can tell by the way a motor sounds, and also by the "feel"...i.e...sluggish....you can also tell if a motor is running excessively rich by the amount of black spooge at the end of your silencer and the silencer/pipe connections....also by how hot it's running...hotter typically equals too lean.

I have read up a bit about spooge and so on. It's going to be a fun experiment to get the bike running beautifully when I finally get her running. Still quite a long way from that. Lots of cleaning to do and money to spend. :lol:
2007 Suzuki DR650SE
1999 Kawasaki KX250 (Rebuild in Progress)

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2015, 03:23:08 AM »
I'll take a look

Hi Sandblaster! Awesome, thanks. I will let you know as soon as I hear from the dealer.
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline MXonaKawi

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2015, 11:15:25 AM »

Great point. My bike is really sluggish off the bottom end, like bogging sluggish. No spooge at all though. I'm running the PWK 36 not the short body version with TPS & Powerjet though. How can I fix this with my jetting? I'm running the Pro Circuit platinum pipe and r-304 shorty silencer.

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 05:59:48 PM »
I'll take a look

Hi Sandblaster. I might have to take you up on that needle offer. Kawi has discontinued the needle and is no longer available. I also asked my bike shop if they can get and they said no.

Do you have the needle for me?

Ed
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 06:11:22 PM »
I'll take a look tomorrow and see what I can find.
N3YK?
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 06:14:59 PM »
I'll take a look tomorrow and see what I can find.
N3YK?

That's the one, thanks Sandblaster. :-)
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 11:47:31 PM »
Hey guys, here's an update...

After breaking a screw driver and small hammer, I decided to get the (semi) right, but cheap tools and get a good hammer and punch. I got the bearings out! The front was surprisingly difficult. I still have to properly clean the front hub and rim like I did the rear.

Drained tha apple sauce coolant.

Drained the tar-like transmission fluid.

Removed the header for reviving.

I upped my game with a magnetic bowl.

Go the the triple clamps off, but the bar mount are not moving at all. Seems like they are stuck in there good.

The steering stem bearings look salvageable. They turned very smooth when they where on the bike. Just needs a clean and good regrease.

Whats left.

Can anyone tell me what Kawasaki model this rear fender comes off? It says made in Italy at bottom, so maybe an Acerbis. But I think it is the wrong rear fender for the bike as it didn't look right when it was on the bike. It seemed too far back.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 01:49:08 AM by ecdeyzel »
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2015, 12:48:57 AM »
looks like it's possibly a Pro Circuit pipe?...that's a good thing if so.
all the black spooge all over the front frame rails and down the front of the motor bring back horrifying memories of my '00 the day I brought it home.
the bar mounts will come out, you may need to give them a helping hand with a rubber mallet, but they'll come out. When you re-install them, use a touch of grease so the rubber cones and mounts won't "weld" themselves in again.
I believe that's an '05 KX250 rear fender.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 01:06:29 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2015, 01:06:26 AM »
Hey Fox, yea it's a Pro Circuit Platinum. Pretty stoked on that. Hopefully I can get it shining nicely again. Also no dents in it really, just a small one below the Pro Circuit badge.

Yea :| Do you recon all that spooge is from the o rings on the header being shot? Can I fix that issue with new ones?

Okey cool, I have hammered the living daylights out of the bar mounts with a rubber mallet already. Will try some more :-P
Will make sure to give it some lube when the new ones go on.

Hmmm, no wonder it looked funny on the bike. Will have to get a new one for this model then.

Thanks for the feedback.
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2015, 01:15:00 AM »
if the pipe didn't have the O-rings, then yeah, it'll make that much of a mess....but also remember, there is some issues going on with your carb too...and getting it jetted right. We don't know the condition of your top-end yet either.

You could try some heat on the bar mounts, just be careful...I'd rather see you try some P.B. Blaster penetrating oil first, spray some on and let it sit for a day, then try the rubber mallet again.
It wouldn't hurt to get a set of these billet cones, and get rid of the rubber ones either...
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,13422.0.html

Offline Foxx4Beaver

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2015, 05:35:03 AM »
N3Wk is what came out of my 99 KX250 carb  :|

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2015, 07:42:24 AM »
N3Wk is what came out of my 99 KX250 carb  :|

that's 5 steps leaner over the N3YK....as long as the clip is in the middle it will be fine.
I'm running the N3WJ, which is 4 steps leaner over stock, in my '00, with the clip in the 2nd from top comfortably.