Author Topic: '99 KX250 Rehab (Budget Rebuild)  (Read 79704 times)

Offline ecdeyzel

Re: '99 KX250 Rehab (Budget Rebuild)
« Reply #120 on: December 10, 2015, 07:14:29 PM »
Hey guys, managed to finish the forks. Got a rebuild kit to replace worn bushings and got new oil and dust seals. Topped up with fresh oil and put'em back together. Very happy. Unfortunately I am having some tech issue so didn't take many photos and lost the few I did, but here is a pic of the old fork oil.

Forks should be much happier now.

I've set the clickers to factory spec, but will play around with them once the bike is up and running and I can do testing.

Ed
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 07:17:44 AM by ecdeyzel »
2007 Suzuki DR650SE
1999 Kawasaki KX250 (Rebuild in Progress)

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #121 on: December 11, 2015, 01:53:31 AM »
you should be very happy with them....I'm assuming the springs and valving are all stock?
Factory Connection only re-valved mine, the stock springs were left in there...I weigh either side of 215, and they work great.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #122 on: December 11, 2015, 02:21:34 AM »
you should be very happy with them....I'm assuming the springs and valving are all stock?
Factory Connection only re-valved mine, the stock springs were left in there...I weigh either side of 215, and they work great.

Valving most probably will be stock, but the springs don't have and end where the gaps get smaller like the repair manual suggests, butt guess they are also stock? One side of the springs have three lines cut onto the flat ends, like a crosshair and used that for top. *shrug I weigh the same as you Foxx but with a lot less muscle and more flab. HAHAHA! I will definitely look to do some suspension upgrades in the future once the flames have been extinguished on my wallet :lol:
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #123 on: December 14, 2015, 10:00:44 PM »
Hi guys, I need some advice. I bought a new Excel spoke kit for the rim I got a while ago but the spoke nipples are a bit too big for the holes. They fit through the original rim though. I need to increase the hole from about 7.8mm to 8.5mm. Will it be safe to drill the holes a little bigger myself?

Ed
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #124 on: December 15, 2015, 03:55:47 AM »
I've drilled a ton of rims and hubs out but to be certain you should contact the rim manufacture.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #125 on: December 16, 2015, 10:38:35 PM »
I've drilled a ton of rims and hubs out but to be certain you should contact the rim manufacture.

Thanks for the advice Sandblaster. I have tried contacting these guys before, but no success. It's only 0.8 mm bigger so not a major difference, just wanted to check with someone who has experience in this.

In other news, I got some Boyesen Power Reeds to replace the crappy old ones. My reed block did not have the valve stoppers when i took it apart. Do I have to have them?

Ed
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #126 on: December 16, 2015, 11:19:48 PM »
In other news, I got some Boyesen Power Reeds to replace the crappy old ones. My reed block did not have the valve stoppers when i took it apart. Do I have to have them?

Ed

stock reeds do require the stoppers...as the stoppers keep the reed petal tips from fluttering, and eventually breaking off. Boyesen and other aftermarket reeds usually use a small strip to hold them on, but with no stoppers.
try calling, or e-mailing Boyesen to see what they suggest.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #127 on: December 16, 2015, 11:25:27 PM »

Ed

stock reeds do require the stoppers...as the stoppers keep the reed petal tips from fluttering, and eventually breaking off. Boyesen and other aftermarket reeds usually use a small strip to hold them on, but with no stoppers.
try calling, or e-mailing Boyesen to see what they suggest.

They came with the gold strips. Will email them and ask. Thanks Foxx.
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #128 on: December 16, 2015, 11:28:21 PM »

that should be all you need, as they act as stiffeners....but it won't hurt to ask Boyesen just to be sure/safe.

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #129 on: December 16, 2015, 11:31:29 PM »

that should be all you need, as they act as stiffeners....but it won't hurt to ask Boyesen just to be sure/safe.

Ok, awesome. Just emailed them now. Will let you know what they say.

Ed
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #130 on: December 23, 2015, 08:17:04 PM »
Hey guys. I got a reply from Boyesen. Here's what they said.

"The Boyesen Power Reeds for a 1999 Kawasaki KX250 are part # 688.  When installing the # 688 Boyesen reeds, you will only install the small metal rev plates included with the Boyesen reeds.  Do not install the stock reed stoppers."

Good to know.

Reeds look great and seals flat to the cage. Should be a good upgrade from the old ones. Didn't tighten them too hard and used some blue Loctite and small split washers, so I am sure they wont be coming out.

Also, I managed to pick up a torque wrench for an absolute steal. Got this guy second hand, but unused, for R220 which is about $20. Now I can torque everything on the bike to spec instead of guessing.

Happy holidays to everyone! A merry Christmas and a happy new year.

Ed
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 07:19:52 AM by ecdeyzel »
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #131 on: December 24, 2015, 12:49:21 AM »
"The Boyesen Power Reeds for a 1999 Kawasaki KX250 are part # 688.  When installing the # 688 Boyesen reeds, you will only install the small metal rev plates included with the Boyesen reeds.  Do not install the stock reed stoppers."

Also, I managed to pick up a torque wrench for an absolute steal. Got this guy second hand, but unused, for R220 which is about $20. Now I can torque everything on the bike to spec instead of guessing.

excellent...I was 99.9% sure the stoppers wouldn't be used.

good score on the torque wrench...being 2nd hand, it wouldn't hurt to bring it to a tool shop and have it calibrated...just to be sure it's accurate. :wink:

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #132 on: December 24, 2015, 02:46:01 AM »

good score on the torque wrench...being 2nd hand, it wouldn't hurt to bring it to a tool shop and have it calibrated...just to be sure it's accurate. :wink:

+1  8-)
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline subliminaltrips

« Reply #133 on: January 02, 2016, 01:30:08 PM »
rebuilding this same bike, very nice build! the vapor blasting on the engine looks sweet!

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #134 on: January 04, 2016, 06:21:22 PM »

Good idea, I will see if I can find someone around here that can do that. Hopefully it won't be too pricey to do.
2007 Suzuki DR650SE