Author Topic: Perch and lever transplant from a newer KX5 to my '87  (Read 3720 times)

ShanMan

Perch and lever transplant from a newer KX5 to my '87
« on: March 27, 2003, 04:22:00 AM »
Can anyone think of a reason why I couldn't do this? I recently bought a set of shorty levers off eBay that supposedly fit '90 and up, but only the brake lever fits my bike. It appears the clutch lever has a revised pivot hole location that makes it incompatible with the stock perch on my bike. I am thinking that swapping the perch for a newer one will give me choices for new levers. Thoughts?

mikesmith

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2003, 07:30:39 PM »
Sounds good to me,as long as theres enough slack in the cable to fit,and adjust for the right amount of play at the lever.

Rick

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2003, 07:47:10 AM »
The only clutch lever and perch I use is the Fly Quick adjust lever.  It uses a lever with bearing in the pivot point, and is configured with a Honda ratio (better than Kawaki).  With this modification, and continued use of only the stock cable, clutch pull is wonderfull.  Also with the teflon insert that allows twisting of the perch when you get off while the bike is still moving, damage to perches has been eliminated.  I have had the same perch for 2 years.

Rick

ShanMan

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2003, 10:14:03 AM »
Rick, care to tell me where you think I might be able to "perch"ase this nice litte unit? Hehehe!!!  :wink:

Rick

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2003, 03:02:12 AM »
Not sure where you are located, but any shop that purchases wholesale from Western Power Sports can get you the lever.  Lots of folks make the same type of lever, but I believe the Fly lever is the least expensive.  The unit you want is the Fly Tristar Quick Adjust Clutch $89.95 (retail).  Here are a couple of web pages that you can access that show you what to look for:

http://www.whitebrothers.com/PDFsections/Controls299320.pdf
(see page 21, the standard pro perch with easy adjust by Works Connection.  $125 retail)

http://www.flyracing.com/prod_engine.html?category=prod_hdl_levers
(there are 3 units on this page.  Stay away from the less costly units.  I have two in my toolbox, as they just do not work as well)

As mentioned, this is a faily common type of lever now, but the Fly lever saves you some cash, and works great.  I usually lube the pivot bearings periodically, and have no problems.  

Rick

mikesmith

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2003, 08:31:01 PM »
I use that same lever/perch Rick has. It works great,around $50.00 from Dennis Kirk.