Author Topic: YZ250 recall  (Read 2701 times)

Offline Mike Grant

YZ250 recall
« on: March 11, 2015, 05:04:37 PM »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: YZ250 recall
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 05:09:07 PM »
No reason for engine stalling indicated

Yamaha has not provided the CPSC with detailed information as of which are the technical problems causing engine malfunction in these motorcycles. Still, from the CPSC message, we can tell that things are pretty serious as the safety commission has added “death” to the potential outcomes of riding a bike with the mentioned problems.

“The engine can lock up during operation, causing a rider to lose control of the vehicle and crash, resulting in injuries and death,” the CPSC release says, so it looks like these Yamaha are really having a serious problem.

The same source adds that “The recalled motorcycles are blue and white, and white and red. The model number is on left and right side of the fuel tank cowling. The vehicle identification number (VIN) is stamped on the frame near the steering stem. The letter F in the 10th position of the VIN number indicates that the unit was made in the 2015 model year.”

Even if they haven’t received a notice from Yamaha, riders who got 2015 model year Yamaha YZ250 machines should do well to check the VIN of their two-wheelers and contact their nearest dealer.
As appealing as a fast ride in the wilderness during the holidays may sound, heading out on a bike whose engine may stall and buck you into a tree or other obstacle is definitely not a smart way to celebrate the beginning of 2015.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 02:45:43 AM »
wow that's not good....I don't follow Yamaha at all, but did Yamaha change their ignition system or fuel system recently?
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Mike Grant

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 04:02:08 AM »
I did a quick google search and it looks like there was a bad batch of counter balancer gears which could come apart and lock up the engine. I imagine someone might have been killed for the CPSC to get involved like this