Author Topic: My 1990 KX250 Motard Build  (Read 12043 times)

Offline LukeG

Re: My 1990 KX250 Motard Build
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2015, 10:07:07 PM »
The left hand side power valve, the one which has the gear on top, was worn on the lower gear and when Todd reassembled it would slip and sometimes not open or sometimes not close properly. Of course I could just take them out but I am worried about the hit that could come without them in there. I found a new RH side valve but the LH ones are no longer available. I bought one from a 99 as they are the same just a smaller diameter and have been thinking about fitting a sleeve onto it.

The other thing is the mouth on the later ones is narrower, as the picture shows, so I am think about experimenting with different widths to see if it has any effect. The main thing will making sure they are no wider than the exhaust ports. I will see how that goes.

1990 KX250 - Wanna be road racer!
2007 DRZ 462 Motard

Offline LukeG

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 05:46:05 PM »
A little more progress has been made. I had the frame and subframe blasted to get a better look at what sort of condition they are in. I have crack tested them both and need to do a fair bit of repair to the main frame as you can see.

Can I also vent over a little frustration I had this week. I thought I had misplaced my clutch hub inner, so I hit up blaster too see if he had one. He unfortunately didn't, but he shared a few links on eBay for one. I bought one advertised as a 91 KX250 Clutch Hub Inner from Independent Cycles, it's the same part number as a 90. Turns out it was not off a 250, although the seller swears black and blue that it is. Here are some of the emails we exchanged after I requested a refund for receiving a part that was not as advertised.

Here's what happened
Oct. 23:The case was put on hold
Oct. 23:Case opened
Oct. 20:Seller approved your return
Oct. 20:You sent a message
Comments:My bike is a 1990 model, what I am saying is the part you sold me is not off a 1990 Kawasaki KX250 or any other model KX250. It does not fit on the shaft splines, it is too small in diameter for the clutch plates that i have which are the correct OEM parts for a 1990 Kawasaki KX250. I am asking for a refund because the part you sold me is not what you claimed it to be. I am happy to return the item to you for further inspection and validation that it is not indeed from a 1990 or 1991 Kawasaki KX250. Also the factory part numbers for the clutch hub inner for a 1990 KX250 and a 1991 are exactly the same and they are also interchangable with the 1993, 1995 and 1995 parts. I believe you have supplied me with parts off a 1990 Kawasaki motorcycle but the engine was not a 250cc capacity. I will be following this matter up with eBay and I have purchased another part for my bike qand will be able to prove that the part you sold me was incorrectly listed.
Oct. 20:The seller sent you a message
Comments:yes its directly off a 90 frame number given, not 1991 like your bike, no one said it would fit a 91 , there is nothing in our listing that says that, so don't know where you get that our listing is wrong? Did someone here tell you it would fit a 1991 ? don't see that email or in our listing anywhere. But yes you can send it back for a refund.
Oct. 19:You sent a message
Comments:Yes it is. I didn't have one to compare it to so I took your ad on face value and when I went to install it, it does not fit. The item you sold is not what you claimed it to be.
Oct. 19:The seller sent you a message
Comments:But, is it the one in the picture?
Oct. 19:You sent a message
Comments:The part number for the clutch inner hub for a 1991 KX250 clutch inner hub is the same as the 1990 KX250 part number. The part you sent me is not off that bike and not as described. This is why I would like to return the item and obtain a refund.
Oct. 19:The seller sent you a message
Comments:Did you get the one in the picture? Did someone here tell you it would fit your machine? It was not sold for your application and the listing stated the engine number for your reference.
Oct. 19:You requested a return
Comments:Hello, the inner clutch hub I purchased was meant to be for a 1990 Kawasaki KX250, the one that I was sent is the incorrect one. It is smaller and doesnt fit on the crank shaft. I would like to return the item and receive a refund'

So after all of this I will see what happens.

Thanks for watching!
Luke
1990 KX250 - Wanna be road racer!
2007 DRZ 462 Motard

Offline SOHC

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2015, 11:14:59 AM »
I got some 90 power valves, they are available still I think, I got mine from Japan.

But I had the same trobble as you, I got lots of parts that were wrong,