Author Topic: 2006 kx500af Done Building, Needs Tuning  (Read 26758 times)

Offline crooscroos

Re: 2006 kx500af Done Building, Needs Tuning
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 08:22:57 PM »
Alright, so I tore the bike apart for my overhaul. I was going to get a compression release valve put on and the crank balance /trued. Unfortunately my air boot ripped where it attached to the carb. I struggled to get the carb to reach the air boot and, once it was connected, it probably ripped over time because of the constant pulling a stretching. I may need to re drill holes or make a new mount to fit another air boot :/

If you guys know anybody with another cr250 air boot please let me know.

It gets worse, I broke the bike in on the sand and to my dismay there was now sand in the air boot. I pulled the head off hoping for the best and sure enough my cylinder had small scoring and the piston had hundreds of tiny scratches. Looks like I'm out another bore job and a piston if I cannot salvage some life out of what I have.

Also, I put my cylinder base gasket on incorrectly. I believe my cylinder head gasket was on correctly but how do you tell? My base gasket was leaking a little coolant and looked awkward so it was obvious I went wrong there.

I feel a little incompetent after all of these discoveries but it's all part of the learning process  :|

I may have to postpone my initial plans to fix the more basic problems.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2015, 03:11:14 AM »
What year boot was used from the CR?
If your not sure, what are the number embossed on the side of it?
KZ3R - FITS 98-99 CR250 17253-KZ3-J00
KZ3T - FITS 00 CR250  17253-KZ3-J20
KZ3V - FITS 01 CR250  17253-KZ3-J30
KZ3W - FITS 02 CR250  17253-KZ3-J40

Small holes on the head gasket go to the right as you are sitting on the bike, or water pump side.

I've ruined a few good parts as well and probably will in the future so don't give up just yet  :-)
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2015, 04:04:15 AM »
"If you are not making mistakes you are not doing much". EVERYONE makes mistakes. You got off fairly easy on this one and I would hazard a guess it will not happen again!
I look up most everything or keep notes so I do it right the first time as my memory has always been suspect.  :-P
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline crooscroos

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2015, 04:08:39 AM »
I was using the KZ3T air boot from a 2000 CR250. I may need to look at a different air boot that comes off the air box a little farther so I won't have this problem happen again. Do you know if there is another boot with the same hole pattern that sticks out a little farther? If not, I may have to modify my air box again.

As far as the head gasket goes, I had it installed correctly. So I'm still concerned about my cooling issues. I know now that I was losing coolant from my base gasket but I'm not sure why the bike would be running at 237! I took the water pump off and everything looked good. I may have to rethink my radiator hose routing.

I really appreciate the support guys!  :lol:

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2015, 05:36:57 AM »
Again, I'd pay close attention to your jetting before you play around with your hose routing.
Lean means heat....
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline dave916

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2015, 08:02:26 AM »
I was using the KZ3T air boot from a 2000 CR250. I may need to look at a different air boot that comes off the air box a little farther so I won't have this problem happen again. Do you know if there is another boot with the same hole pattern that sticks out a little farther? If not, I may have to modify my air box again.

As far as the head gasket goes, I had it installed correctly. So I'm still concerned about my cooling issues. I know now that I was losing coolant from my base gasket but I'm not sure why the bike would be running at 237! I took the water pump off and everything looked good. I may have to rethink my radiator hose routing.

I really appreciate the support guys!  :lol:
There is no coolant at the base gasket, thought a air leak there would it to run lean and overheat

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2015, 08:21:21 AM »
I will be using the 2000 boot for my 07 conversion.
The 98-99 boot is on the left and the 2000 is on the right.

Offline crooscroos

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2015, 11:44:30 AM »
Judging by my spark plug, it doesn't look like my bike is running lean but I could be wrong.

Is the 98-99 boot longer than the 2000? I don't want to stretch my air boot like the previous one so I'm hoping to find a boot that will reach a little farther!

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2015, 12:56:44 PM »
Post a pic of your piston top.
That will tell us a lot.
I don't think the 98-99 is much if any longer but it is fatter and is squeezed more in the frame.
I tried many different boots but kept coming back to the 2000

Offline kxpegger

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2015, 01:30:43 PM »
Judging by my spark plug, it doesn't look like my bike is running lean but I could be wrong.

Is the 98-99 boot longer than the 2000? I don't want to stretch my air boot like the previous one so I'm hoping to find a boot that will reach a little farther!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPalL_FM7Mc
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F

Offline Larry Wiechman

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2015, 02:10:45 PM »
Here is a rough diagram of my radiator routing. Should I take the cylinder off and check that gasket?

Cody,
  Change the hose routing so that the radiators are in series, like the stock system. An infrared temp gauge is a quick way to spot problems.

Larry

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2015, 02:25:35 PM »
Hey Larry,
I have been wanting to try it the way Cody has it in parallel but apparently you have already tried it and found it lacking.
Did you ever try reverse cooling in parallel or series?

Offline crooscroos

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2015, 05:13:39 PM »
Larry,

I'll try the same routing the stock kx500 uses if you have found that it yields more efficient cooling. As for the air boot, I think I'm going to go with a 2001 again. I just hope it doesn't rip on me again  :|

Offline scooterVOOII

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2015, 03:45:26 AM »
Just a thought on your vibration problem, here's something I learned from another site. If you have a gap between your frame mounts and your engine, shim them. I bought a frame conversion from MPS, and it sucked DONKEY BALLS. I had a guy I knew at home correct it, but we took to much meat off the frame tabs, leaving a gap at all 4 points. As per recommendation, I torqued my swingarm to spec, and then made shims to fit the gaps. they weren't very thick, but every one had to be slightly forced into positon. When this is done, you have zero tension on your frame rails, and that reduces the transfer of vibration into the bike. I can honestly say, that my AF vibrates less then the original steel frame bike, as in almost non existent. The difference is huge, so if you didn't weld your mounts snug to the motor during fabrication, spend the time to do this mod. I remember how bad my Kwacker vibrated in the steel frame, I can't imagine how bad it would be in a high tension AF frame.

Offline cmotodad

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2015, 05:17:58 PM »
On a CRF/500 I did, we had to make the airbox plate out of 3/8 plexiglass to get the boot to fit properly. It just takes up the gap and makes no stretching