Author Topic: KX500 1/2 miler by Sammy  (Read 7036 times)

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
KX500 1/2 miler by Sammy
« on: January 23, 2015, 11:10:43 AM »

« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 07:34:07 AM by sandblaster »
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
KX500 intake manifold change.....
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 11:11:42 AM »

The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 11:12:27 AM »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 11:12:45 AM »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 11:42:37 AM »

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 11:55:24 AM »
Oh now that's sex on wheels right there  :-P
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 01:32:57 PM »

never seen an H1 engine in a RD400 before
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50
2009 Harley super glide custom

Offline Sammy

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 01:48:14 AM »
hello All,

Sandblaster was kind enough to post the above pics for me,so I need to add some commentary to them. Here goes:

The KX is  street legal,in 1/2 mile track bike(not street tracker) theme. It's done in the racer's 'form follows function' strategy,to maintain the correct look,simplicity and 'fun factor' of a racer.

The KX /1/2 miler project began some 3 years back. After doing the wheels,suspension and radiator details,I shelved the KX in order to do 4 other bikes. A few weeks ago,I decided to finish the KX. The pic showing the KX on it's wheels was taken just before disassembly and shelving;all the rest are recent shots showing changes made in the last 3 weeks(I'm slow :-D).

The cooling system consists of two CR125 rads,which ,being thicker,have more cubic capacity than the oem 'barn doors'. I've added a third unit,thinking that it may be beneficial-won't know until it's plumbed and ridden. Regarding the plumbing,that's still undecided; I've read the different opinions for plumbing 'parallel' versus ' in line'. Suggestions from the modders on this topic are welcome;I think my radiator system will work, but .....lol.

I didn't like the looks of the rear mono-shock for my project,so I'm using twin Hagons by adding the mounts to my  4130n  tube subframe. The 'glass seat form matches that of the rear loop. It's about to be primed,and I'll have pics of it soon.

The air-filter assembly is presently under construction,and I'll have a pic or two of it in mock-up. It will locate off center to align with the carb,and use a round UNI filter held between two formed sheet metal end-caps,with 'quick-latches'.

Lighting- yet to be completely determined,but it will be minimal at best-just enough to pass the letter of the law......I'm researching some of the better LED bicycle lighting ;as whatever I use will have to be small and discreet(I don't plan to ride the KX after dark-several other bikes for that :-))

That's about all I have at this point......stay tuned :-)

Once again,thank you Sandblaster
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 01:50:30 AM by Sammy »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 03:43:25 AM »
I ran a battery only system for about 6 months.
It works fine but limits your range quite a bit.
Then I bought a MZB system from Alward25.
You won't even know it's there  :lol:
100 watts of power and it comes with different weights of flywheel.
I have the lightest version on my street tard and I really like it.
Here's a link

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,8234.0.html

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
Re: KX500 1/2 miler by Sammy
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 07:37:34 AM »
Split the thread at Sammy's request.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 10:09:04 AM »

Commentary to follow  :-D

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 05:45:56 PM »
Here is two pics of the finalized radiator 'saddle' mount.

Presently, I'm stalled,waiting for electrical specifications from a couple of vendors that will permit me to coordinate, locate and mount the electrical components.
I'll be working with very good quality bicycle lighting,using a very small AGM battery that'll be supported by the lighting coil/regulator I've selected.
Good news is, all of these components are small, easy to work with, but with a downside that, given the 'unusual' application, none of the product sources have any experience with what I'm doing.
The most that they can do to help me 'spec' everything, is to supply me with the info that I need....and sometimes, despite the immediacy of the great 'Net, answers are often-time slow in arriving......

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 06:57:04 PM »
Really nice work! Will give the 'thumbs up' for the MZB. Fits under the stock cover and has the power to do 'whatever'. Nice light flywheel if you want it too. Higher power ignition unit to boot! Funny I own two out of your four (TW and KX5) and owned an H2 at one point.
Curious about your subframe. Did you do it yourself? Keep the pics and info coming!
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline umberto

• Administrator
  • First Ride 02-02-19
Re: KX500 intake manifold change.....
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 02:52:19 AM »

That is sexy!  It reminds me of the Yamaha BW bikes.  I've always wanted one, but they are rare and usually expensive.  I did see someone on e-Bay that had built a KDX BW type bike.  It had the full ATV tires and everything.  He wanted $5,500 for it, but it was really well done. I need to get on that winning the lottery thing...
Perhaps I have a dirt bike addiction?

03 KX 250/88 KX 525/2017 KX250F - Goliath
17 KX250F/04 KX250
04 KX 250 - Lunchbox's Bike
05 KX 125/144

Offline Sammy

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 10:45:19 AM »
Thanks,all for your comments/compliments. I've been 'in uncharted waters' throughout most of this project,as it's somewhat different in both the subject and basis for the build. I'm used to more conventional restorations,or resto-mod builds. The cooling system,the issue of 'KX500 run-on',the lighting system,and final color scheme are all yet to be finalized.
Regarding the lighting system,the MZB system has been suggested more than once. I'm sure that it is a very good design/system,but what I'm working with should accomplish exactly what I want-that is,a very small illumination system that is not readily visible at first glance . This is to be accomplished by using one of the many high output bicycle LED headlights(two STELLA 500 units).,plus and LED rear brake light.As minimal as it it will be allows it to be less obvious than the typical number plate/headlight combo's found on all 'street trackers'. IMO,all of the various numberplate-light renditions look wrong/goofy.....but that's just me.Typically,a headlight serves three purposes-1) illumination for the rider,2) recognition by others, and3) a cosmetic accessory. For my application,I am only concerned with reason #2,and only to the degree of giving the appearances of having adequate illumination so as not to attract the attentions of you-know -who.... :-D

So,stay tuned. I'll have questions and need help.....

(PS- Brute,yes,the subframe is my design-.75 4130 cr tube,done with my HowRon tubing bender.)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 11:35:46 AM by Sammy »