Author Topic: k5 fuel octain  (Read 19337 times)

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: k5 fuel octain
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2015, 02:24:21 PM »
ahhh, excellent!...I didn't realize you already had the rebuild fully underway! :-)
have you chosen/purchased a piston kit yet?
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline motovet

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2015, 02:29:18 PM »
All oem parts including gaskets, the cylinder is in at millenium(??? spelling) getting done. I sent the new piston with for sizing.

Offline reklessj

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2015, 02:45:45 PM »
I have the pictures figured out now. will post more of the head and spark plug shortly. Rekless, there is not many trails here so I usually go to upper michigan to trail ride. If your in the are though, I have a could show ya some of the mx tracks. Foxx, I am not sure what the last owner ran, I found it online down in Florida. An older guy had it along with a couple other ones and did not ride it much. I do have the tools to do a compression and leak down test, I will do that as soon as I get it back together. I have the cylinder in getting replated right now, it had some scoring and the intake bridges were cracked sooooooooo as long as it`s apart......
Right on moto I will let ya know as spring nears. I'm down for any type of riding. Also final ddestination is Mellen, wi , about 1 hr from Ironwood, mi
My rides: 1994 KX500, 1988 T4, 1998, ZXI 1100 JETSKI, 2003 MOUNTAIN CAT 900
WIFES (Baby Fiver) rides: 2004 KTM 105SX,1992 LT250R, 1995 ZXI 900 JETSKI,  2011 RMK 600
SONS ride: 1995 YZ125,2002 RM 250
other rides: 2007 RMZ450 RC Ediition, 2003 RMK700

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2015, 03:44:17 PM »
Motovet,

Looking at that piston would have me thinking possible head gasket leak as the intake side looks washed & could also lead to detonation. Most pistons that I have seen detonation marks are on the exhaust. Be sure to lap your cylinder and head together & as Fox noted leak down test.

DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline motovet

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2015, 05:32:05 PM »
doldguy,
 Not to sound ignorant, but when you talk about lapping to head and cylinder, wondering if their is something I don`t know about? I have always checked them with a straight edge or used fine sand paper on a good and flat piece of steel to check the head for warpage. Is this good enough or is there more I should be doing?

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2015, 10:10:04 PM »
fine sand paper on a good and flat piece of steel to check the head for warpage.

you've got the right idea, sandpaper can and will work fine providing you're careful, but one of our Administrators suggested using this over everything else, and it works great and fast...

you can lap them on just about anything, providing whatever you chose, is flat...
I do mine on a 20"x20" piece of mirror in a figure 8 motion.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 10:58:19 PM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline motovet

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2015, 12:37:17 PM »
Thank you, I will try that. Never thought about using a piece of glass or mirror, I like that idea.

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2015, 02:15:38 PM »
If you still have the head gasket visually inspect it for signs of where / if it was leaking. Dykem is another great way to "see" the low/high spots on both the cylinder or head. I have a big piece of scrap granite to get the parts flat & every KX500 head that I have checked was nowhere near flat, cylinders too.

DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline motovet

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2015, 02:45:50 PM »
Thank you, I will make sure I check it over good before putting it back together. I am not sure where to get the time saver compound but got some permatex brand valve grinding compound today, guessing that should work fine?

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2015, 02:55:03 PM »
you can get the Timesaver here...you want the yellow label-100N
the 1lb can will last you a while...

http://www.ws2coating.com/timesaverlappingcompounds.aspx

I'm sure you can find it elsewhere too if you shop around.

Motorrad

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2015, 04:18:44 PM »
Valve grinding compound is bad.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2015, 04:27:02 PM »
got some permatex brand valve grinding compound today, guessing that should work fine?

NO!!!!!! DON'T DO IT !!!!  :-o
You will embed grinding compound into your aluminum.
What happens when your engine heats up and vibrates and all those little embedded particles come loose and start floating around in your engine?
Time Saver is what you need...
That stuff is amazing...
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2015, 09:59:16 PM »
Dykem is another great way to "see" the low/high spots on both the cylinder or head.
DoldGuy

+1....I use a black Sharpie.

Motorrad

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2015, 07:19:49 AM »
Just rub some duck butter on it. 

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2015, 07:44:34 AM »
that just sounds gross.