Author Topic: 94 K5 fork and shock trouble after MX park ride  (Read 2064 times)

Offline rocksolid

94 K5 fork and shock trouble after MX park ride
« on: January 01, 2015, 03:22:02 PM »
First things first. The stock suspension was too soft and would bottom out during local clay pit riding. Nose would dive in corners.

Replaced fork springs with some .52 and replaced the rear spring with a 5.6kg. I'm 220ish.

After the install bike handled and cornered much better. No bottoming out. Been on about 4 rides since then no problems.

Today I go to a MX track and the rear is extremely bouncy before I even ride.... must be blown is what my friend is thinking. So we adjust clicks to full firm and it feels like a shock again but a little bouncy so we adjust rebound and it feels rideable.

A few laps around the track and front end is too soft so I adjust he top of the forks firmer and it rides better. So I adjust to full firm and it handles even better but after a few bottom out jumps there is some fluid on one of the fork shafts. Now it rides like crap.

I'm assuming so much fluid has leaked out of the fork that it's not working? I'm also assuming the rear shock maybe has the same problem or all the nitrogen has leaked out.

Any thoughts? Going the look at the fork fluid level this weekend and drop the rear shock of at the local repair shop. 

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: 94 K5 fork and shock trouble after MX park ride
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 03:47:11 PM »
Sounds to me like your riding on just the springs.
If it were me I would rebuild everything.
It made a huge difference on mine after I went through it all.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.